• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango alternator install

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I have a question about installing a durango alternator. I found one on craiges list its 160 amp off an 04 have seen write up on 137 amp install but can't find out if they are the same size.I dont want to buy it and not be able to use it.

You could see if they are cross listed as a Same replacement part. If they both bolt up to the Durango then I would think they both would require the same modification. one may be a little larger so may require a little more grinding to make fit if they are listed to fit the same make/model/motor/year/blah/....

if they are listed to fit the same make/model/motor/year/blah/....
===========================================
Cross listing is a good safe and quick way to find a part to fit. The first try.

But if your willing to work a bit and have a good bud at a bone yard. Try setting a stocker and that 160 amper (used) side by side.
((( Also insure they take the same type of external voltage regulator if any))
A 160 amper may be drop in but if the factory wire couldn't handle the extra load. No cross listing maybe found.
And an upgrade of the ALT to BATT wire on the XJ isn't a bad idea in my book.
I can site case after case were with a small mod some gismo will work just fine. Were no cross listing was found.
Just doing my part to make a confusing mess out of a simple mod. :)
No thanks needed.

I think the plugs/field terminals are different on these? I think the newer Durangos work with the newer style alternators on XJs, and same goes for older durangos and older XJs (down to 91).

I can't remember :gee:

i installed a durango alt on a friends MJ, i threw it in while i was fabbing him up a high mount alternator bracket.

IIRC , it bolted up easy as pie.

wait what kind of alternator are we talking about? the 160 amps makes me think of a GM alternator, which yeah that would work in pre-91 XJ (or MJ) but the 91 and higher use the Nippon Denso alternator which is altogether different

they are Nippon Denso alternators.It looks like 91 and up all use them. I will have to go to the parts store and look at a 99 and a 04 side by side and see.I have looked and cant tell by part # so there is no other way if they do fit would be nice upgrade for 91 and up like mine could go 160 amp that way.If some one knew if 2000 and later Durango were the same size and hooked the same as the 99 and down then should fit.

It shows that the 01 to 09 durango with 4.7 L and the Libert with 3.7L from 02 up are 160 amp I may just go with a 136 and be happy it would be good for what I have .Just figg if I was changing it mite as well go with bigger I am going to change all the cables anyway.and if it worked would help some one elese out that need a larger alternator with out spending $200.00 on one

If you have the time and money give it a try. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the pigtail terminals are different so you'll need a pigtail from a junkyard Durango and you'll have to figure out which wires go where. Maybe an alternator shop can help you with that. Also FYI the 136A alternators are also using the different pigtail, so if you take the easy way out stick to a known good model.

I ordered a 160 amp off e-bay for a zj and the connectors where alot different, so I just took the alternator apart and swaped out the pieces that would make it work. Wasnt hard.

Reports from the field show that this is a doable mod - however, a wiring upgrade is a must (wiring, upgrade fuse capacity, and that rot.) The 160A seems to be about the same frame size as the 136A, so about the same amount of grinding at the mount seems to be needed (to clear the alternator frame proper.)

Dido, I, based on the limited amount of information on this mod, purchused the Alt out of a 2001 -2006 Durango 4.7l. Big mistake!, the mounts for one thing are not north abd south but north and west when viewed from the front and depending which way your holding it. Second the B+ term clocks out the side hitting the mount, not good! So, I did my due diligence and determined the 2001 -2003 Durango w/5.9 was the best fit. Mounts and b+ are in the right place I returned the other alt for the 5.9 and should be getting it any day now. (GOING IN MY STROKER. 2001 XJ) I will let you guys know how it works when I pop it in.:patriot:

Back