• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No-Slip vs Lock Right

smalls2010

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to put new axles on my 2000. The axles are stock from a '98 4cyl and have 4.10s in them, 8.25 29 spline rear. I am considering locking the rear before I do the swap. I cannot decide between the powertrax no slip and the lock right. I use my xj as a daily driver and frequently drive it to the mountains on the interstate in snow. I do a moderate amount of wheelin as well and will be running 33's. Which locker should i go with?

The best option would be to try the nifty search feature. You can also follow the links to Similar threads at the bottom of the page. Like this one from 5 years ago. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21983

And to make it even easier, there's also the Aussie Locker to consider. It has a good reputation and is probably cheaper.

HTH

I love the no-slip in my 8.8. I hardly even notice it on the street.
If you're on a tight budget I'd go for the aussie.

The No-slip is much smoother/quieter than all the other lockers.

I have the No-slip in my 8.25 and LOVE it! I talked my buddy into putting one into his 8.25 and he couldn't believe he waited so long to do it.
The No-Slip is so invisible and quiet compared to either the LR or Aus.
I've tried both the Aussie and Lock Right in the 30 and prefer the Lock Right.
I take the front out in winter now (mountain roads) as opposed to the flat prairie's. The Lock Right takes me 20 minutes start to finish, the Aussie is just such a damn tight fit and just pissed me off so i sold it. Other than farting around with the installation and removal, they both have the same mannerisms. -B

PS: There are a whack of threads on this topic.

The Aussie is the best lunchbox for the 8.25. I just destroyed a lockright in mine. The damn thing never worked right from the start. It was noisy and popped alot. I am installing a detroit now so I will never have problems again. You may want to check out the new Spartan locker, I hear it's a top quality unit.

The consus seems to be that the no-slip is the most well-mannered lunchbox locker on the street. But how does it compare to a Detroit locker? (I have driven neither)

The consus seems to be that the no-slip is the most well-mannered lunchbox locker on the street. But how does it compare to a Detroit locker? (I have driven neither)

If your refering to the Detroit Soft locker,it behaves more like the Aussie/Lockrite.

The Powertrax is more $$, and most guys here say it's great on the street... so for us poor folks, how bad is a lock-right on the street?

I looked into a detroit truetrac (clutchless lsd, not sure if I got the name right) is a good unit from everything I've heard, but not available for the 8.25

The Powertrax is more $$, and most guys here say it's great on the street... so for us poor folks, how bad is a lock-right on the street?
'Drove a CJ-5 for years with a lock-rite. It was noisy(clicking)but had decent road manners. If the clicking doesn't bother you, it'll be fine. You do need to learn a slightly different driving style, but that's true for any locker.
I looked into a detroit truetrac (clutchless lsd, not sure if I got the name right) is a good unit from everything I've heard, but not available for the 8.25
That changed a couple years ago:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1473

Back