• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Common P/S Leak??

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been chasing a power steering fluid leak and need some input on where it might be coming from. It's been showing up as a quarter size spot on the driveway. All the hoses are tight and dry. It's also been showing up on the lower radiator hose (and I just replaced the hose last month).

The p/s reservoir is losing about 1/4 cup in a month. So, is there a common spot on the pump or between the pump and the reservoir. It also looks like there is fluid coming out ofthe steering box at the shaft, but that wouldn't explain why it's ending up on the radiator hose as the box is below the hose. I've cleaned it all up several times but I can't find the leak spot.

Any ideas??

My 90 was leaking from the steering box shaft and at the pitman arm. I replaced the steering box with a reman one and it stopped the leaks but the old box actually steered better. If you replace it, go with the Durango box or a different upgrade. I wish I would have. There was a thread on here too for a seal kit you can buy to replace all the seals on the box you have. Good luck.

I had the same issue with my 89. It turned out to be a hairline crack in the ps cap that would only leak at full lock. I replaced the cap, and voila!, no more leak.
YMMV.

Well, I would look for it on the low-pressure end of things at a 1/4 cup a month.

I had the same issue with my 89. It turned out to be a hairline crack in the ps cap that would only leak at full lock. I replaced the cap, and voila!, no more leak.
YMMV.

I'm looking at this possibility too. The last time I cleaned everything up I had my son turn the wheel back & forth while I was under there with my maglite and I couldn't see squat. There WAS a little dribble down the front of the reservoir, but I discounted that as just my sloppiness in not getting it all clean. Good point.

Also would a ZJ steering box fit in there and would it work? I'm really not into rebuilding the box, if necessary I'll just replace/upgrade it.

Just had the same problem last month except mine started out as a small spot and ended up with a puddle underneath. Here mine had a pin hole in the high pressure line and it was shooting out on the airbox and dripping down. Have someone turn the wheel lock to lock and see if you see it leaking anywhere. Good luck

You may find better luck with having the front wheels off the ground. you cant turn the wheel a lot faster to full lock and will help speed up the process of finding the leak. I think the UV dye stuff is P/S safe also you could give that a go?

The nipple on the P/S fluid reservoir is quite brittle and can easily brake off/crack. I would take a look around that and would agree with Joe that with that amount of loss in 1 month that it would most likely be on the low pressure side. I had a VERY small leak on the high pressure side and went through a 1/2 Qt. a week before I was able to get a new pump, and lines put in.

Mine is doing that now, just spraying on the exhaust manifold and causing a huge cloud of bad smelling smoke that gets me a lot of funny looks....

XJ BBQ, mmm, mmm, mmm.

Fix that leak or carry a couple fire extinguishers.

After much filling, cleaning, etc. it appears that the leak is coming from 2 places. One was on the low pressure hose (fixed) and the other is at the output of the steering gear box. It's not leaking at the pump or the reservoir.

If I was to replace the whole box is there an upgrade while I'm there (e.g. ZJ box) or should I just go with the standard XJ box? Reman or new? I've heard that the ZJ box is more responsive, tighter etc. My steering has always been a tad sloppy (5+ years) but driving on a curvy mountain road almost every day I guess I've gotten used to it.

The YJ or Durango box is an upgrade to the XJ box. The YJ box uses 4 bolts, and TNT sells inner plates for this conversion.

i do not believe the ZJ box is an upgrade- IIRC it may be a downgrade. an upgraded off the shelf box would be a YJ or Durango steering gear box.

i do not believe the ZJ box is an upgrade- IIRC it may be a downgrade. an upgraded off the shelf box would be a YJ or Durango steering gear box.

I checked AutoZone's website fro reference. 90 XJ and 95 ZJ are the same part #, might look into a YJ conversion or just go stock.

:us:

Back