• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about flushing the tranny

pyrothugg

NAXJA Forum User
okay so i was dumb and went through a huge thing of water and semi hydrolocked. engine is pretty much fine after i changed all the fluid in it an cranked out all the water in it. but the tranny needs some work. on the ride home it was spewing fluid out of the dipstick and possibly the bellhousing. anyway i found a link by someone with a similar problem the link is at--- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/32rh-issues-780123/

now in post number 7 it says this:
"it'll spew out if theres still some moisture in it. the water boils, builds steam presure and blows out anywhere it can taking fluid with it.

I pull the passenger side cooler line off the bottom of the radiator, add a section of hose to the line and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. fire it up and start dumping oil in by the gallon. you can only draw out the fluid thats in the pan, about 5 quarts. with it running it'll circulate oil through the convertor if you keep adding oil untill it's blowing out the clean oil you're putting in which takes about 16-20+ wasted quarts of new oil to completely clean out the tranny especially if they had water in em.
by far the most effective way is to drill and tap the convertor, which holds nearly twice the amount of oil thats in the pan...

alot of shops that charge for a flush only stick a suction tube down the dip stick and suck the oil out of the pan, leaving the contaminated oil in the convertor.. If you want it done right do it yourself or stand there and watch to see how much new fluid they use to get it flushed."

i had the same problem with the boiling and smoking and puking of the tranny fluid. so im assuming this will work but i have a few questions... this write up was for a 32rh tranny.
1.is it the same for an aw4.
2. which line do i pull it just say the cooler line on the pasanger side but when i look on the passanger side of the radiator i see 2 lines (pictures help)
3. is this safe to do
4. is there anyother steps i should take when doing this.

im kind of leery about doing it this way for some reason. but im broke and cant afford to take it to a shop and have it done. and it needs to be done before i start driving it again. i figure the filter got clogged and was backing it up and thats why it started overheating the trany but im not sure.plus i want to get all the moisture out of the tranny and change the fluid and filter as well so i figured this flush thing sounded right but im not sure. then finally ill move the breather and learn the hard way not to go through water.

It's best to take the pan off and change the filter first. Then refill pan and do the flush by removing the cooler return line. Then you can pump out a couple of quarts at a time, turning engine off and refilling pan through dipstick hole. The AW4 will not suck oil out of a bucket. It must be in the transmission already.

so step by step how do i do this cuz i dont wana mess it up. i drop the pan, pull the cooler line at the back of the tranny. turn it on and refiill it at the dipstick. turn it off. refil again. then start all over by droping the pan and repeat what the process....am i corect. kind of a noob when it comes to this

No. Drop the pan and change the filter, reinstall the pan. You are now done with the pan. Now add about 4 quarts which is about what you took from the pan.

Disconnect the return line, stick it in a bucket, start engine and pump two quarts into the bucket. Shut off the engine. Add two quarts through the dipstick/filler tube. Start engine, pump two quarts into the bucket. Shut off engine, add fluid. Keep repeating until you have pumped out and replaced about 8 quarts. The 8 quarts plus the 4 quarts in the pan earlier is about equal to the total capacity of the torque converter and transmission combined. Top off to the correct level when hot. Done.

Make sure you're shifting through the gears (with your foot on the brake, or preferably with the rear wheels off the ground) while doing that. Otherwise you'll miss some of the fluid in the valve body.

thanks guys this is definatly the info i needed. i was kind of confused why i would be droping the pan so many times im glad you cleared that up thanks.

Back