• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Mother-in-Law

bigdaddyjlove

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some input, or ideas here.

My mother in law needs a car. Through circumstances out of her and our control, she is not able to buy one at the moment. So, I am thinking my wife and I will buybuild her a Cherokee.

The problem is, I have a daughter turning 16 in two weeks, and I am finishing her a TJ build and its Christmas. Money is tight. So the budget is >$1000.

I can fix anything that is wrong with one fairly cheaply. The local pull-a-part is lousy with Jeeps esp since cash for clunkers.

What I'm thinking is this

1. HO model, Renix Jeeps are getting old, and they are a little finiky to work on

2. probably OBD1,

3. I don't know, just looking for input/whining a little:dunce:

not to be rude, but i'd never get my mother in law a jeep, she flip it! maybe yours is a better driver, but i'd get her a camry....

I think "ANYONE" would have a hard time flipping a stock XJ on the street.

Kudos to you for being such a great son in law! Get something you can work on because good deeds never go unpunished.

She HAD a camry. The motor locked on the way down Thanksgiving eve. I didn't believe it was possible to kill one, but she has a gift. Rebuilding, or replacing that engine is looking like about $1000 - $1200. I'd rather put her in a vehicle I can fix on the cheap when something else breaks.

As for the ZJs, I like the cars, but That one is a V8 and I have lots of in-line six laying around, plus I think the Auto that came in the GC was poo.

Mom-in-law would like a stick, which would be great, but they are rare in the XJs and non-existant in the ZJ. The AW4 will be just fine with me.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming

Replace the Camry's engine with a used JDM motor (they have to pull them at 40k), enjoy Camry for the next 300k.

Replace the Camry's engine with a used JDM motor (they have to pull them at 40k), enjoy Camry for the next 300k.

Looked at that, the JDM place local has them at $1095.00

Plus, this thing was abused before she got it, I have this fear that I drop a grand on the motor, then the next month the transmission goes out.

plus, I like Jeeps :)

Back