• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor

89XJPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I recently expierience an electrical meltdown with my blower motor wiring smoldering... I searched and searched and was wondering. Would replacing the motor allow the factory wiring be sufficient again for awhile.?? How hard is it to do a blower motor in an 89XJ??

Was the factory wiring harmed? Or did the smell (smoldering) come from internal or do you know?

Also blower motor is super easy. Remove coolant reservoir, remove bracket, then there are 3 8mm i believe screws around the outside. Then it pops out.

Check the blower motor and resistor block plugs for melting action. Once they start to warp, it's hard to keep a good connection so they heat up again and melt. (caution - thermal event possiblities)

When It all happend the truck would no longer start.. turned out the ignition switch had melted as well as the fuse inside the fuse block..... Changed the ignition switch and it fired right up the only melted areas I found was the fuse and a small area around it and as normal the speed switch for the fan was burned on the back a bit which is common... I have not put a fuse back in it to keep this from happening again.. however its getting into the 30's here at night and I need heat!! lol..... should I just replace the blower? or is there a better solution

The blower is probably drawing more current than when new. You could go the relay route. A little search should get you to the very complete description and pictures of how to do that. I posted a link to that recently.

But a new blower motor is easier and more costly.

Well I looked into a new motor and its only about $30 for the motor and $20 for the wheel Im probably going to go that route being that I HATE wiring... Thanks for the help! I looked up a wireup on a 97+ which looks like cake just wanted to make sure the earlier XJ's were the same should only take me an hour tops

A general note on the XJ in particular, but most vehicles in general:

Turn off EVERYTHING before shutting off the ignition. Radio, blower motor, and any other accessories you have on a keyed circuit.

The next time you turn the key ON, the load on the switch will be reduced and the switch will last longer.

Back