• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GMB High Performance Water Pumps

The flow kooler calls for a spring in the lower hose. I have never been able to find the lower hose that has a spring in it, but have never seemed to need it.

Once again the ugly "racing parts is better" idea comes alive.

Are you a desert racer that needs a lot of flow at high rpms?

You need to contact the manufacturers and check on their claimed flow rates and look for the best performance at low rpms where you need it--unless you really are a desert racer?

there have been a few other questions asked about electric water pumps and no one seams to be running them in the Jeep. I think it would be another great way to control the temp of your motor.

On a side thought and a little off topic. I have heard people making the note that High pressure and High volume are two different things (mostly when it comes to the oil pump, but it was mentioned in this thread a little also). With out changing any thing else in the actual flow path of the fluid how does one differ? Is the only differnce that at high RPMS the High volume would have the same flow as the OEM but at low RPMS will have better flow? where the High pressure will just up the pressure seen all across the RPM range?

This has been on my brain for a few days and it seams important enough that when any one asks about a pump of any kind people specify to make sure its a high volume and not a high pressure....

Thanks and sorry for getting off topic...

For me, I use my XJ as a daily driver / weekend wheeler. I'm in SD where in summer it gets pretty hot like 90's. I did have some small issues this past summer were I had to run the defrost the whole time I was wheelin. Everything on my XJ in the cooling dept. is stock. I'm just lookin for a cost effective way to help with the temp.

sorry again for me ignorance... why would running your defrost help with overheating? if you ran just hot ar but defrost uses your A/C putting more drag on your mottor...

there have been a few other questions asked about electric water pumps and no one seams to be running them in the Jeep. I think it would be another great way to control the temp of your motor.

On a side thought and a little off topic. I have heard people making the note that High pressure and High volume are two different things (mostly when it comes to the oil pump, but it was mentioned in this thread a little also). With out changing any thing else in the actual flow path of the fluid how does one differ? Is the only differnce that at high RPMS the High volume would have the same flow as the OEM but at low RPMS will have better flow? where the High pressure will just up the pressure seen all across the RPM range?

This has been on my brain for a few days and it seams important enough that when any one asks about a pump of any kind people specify to make sure its a high volume and not a high pressure....

Thanks and sorry for getting off topic...
The higher the pressure in your cooling system the higher the temp the water will boil at. This is why when your radiator cap fails your engine will overheat. The water boils out at too low a temp and the engine just keeps getting hotter. There is a limit to how much flow you can use in a cooling system. If the water flows through the radiator too fast it does not transfer as much of the heat to the air and therefore is less efficient. Some people have even put restrictors in the upper radiator hose to slow down the flow. This is usually not necessary with aluminum radiators because aluminum transfers heat much faster than copper/brass. What our engines need is more flow at the crucial low RPM's. This is why I have considered using an electric water pump.

sorry again for me ignorance... why would running your defrost help with overheating? if you ran just hot ar but defrost uses your A/C putting more drag on your mottor...

it runs your blower motor? dunno. but it works for a little unconfortable band-aid

For me, I use my XJ as a daily driver / weekend wheeler. I'm in SD where in summer it gets pretty hot like 90's. I did have some small issues this past summer were I had to run the defrost the whole time I was wheelin. Everything on my XJ in the cooling dept. is stock. I'm just lookin for a cost effective way to help with the temp.

the radiator was the weak link on my 89.

Switching to a defrost or AC setting cycles your E-fan for more airflow.
Ditto on the mopar hose. No-one had one with a spring so I checked with the deal and got one.

While the fan does turn on and off with the AC on defrost, does the extra load and heat the AC condenser creates off set the few seconds the fan cycles on and then off? It seams like keeping the heat on on high would cause the needed extra heat removal with out adding any more load other then the few amps it takes to run the blower (which if you have it on max defrost your already using) .

Back