• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

truck dies when i put it in reverse or drive etc.

DaveVmax

NAXJA Forum User
hello im having a problem with my 92 4.0L

i start it up let it warm then when i put it in reverse the whole truck will die or it will choke (almost like skipping a beat).......could this be the NSS just acting up?

im trying to remove it but its seized on.

could there be something else maybe? crank sensor?

oh yeah and i noticed that as my truck dies or chokes the stereo will loose power as if the whole truck shut off.

Sounds like you need to do a little maintenance and testing.

I would start with the battery. Remove both cables and put a charger on it overnight, or better yet for 24 hours.

While the cables are off the battery, you might as well disconnect them on the other ends and then clean both ends. Before hooking them back up use your ohm meter to test the resistance of the cables, should be near zero ohms.

Now that the battery has been fully charged getting it load tested would be a good idea as winter is upon us, and we all know that a battery that is fine in summer can crap out when it gets cold.

Well, with a fully charged and tested battery, clean cables on both ends and everything hooked up, put a voltmeter between the battery terminals--should be about 12.5 volts. Start the engine and measure again--should be about 13.6 ~ 14.5 volts; if not you need to find out why it isn't.

If you have done all of the above, and it still wants to die in reverse, you will have to do additional testing.

Did it rev fine when not in gear. If not, check the tps.

I head a bit into left field and suggest looking to see if the bellhousing is bolted up tight. I had one friend pulling his hair out with the same symptoms. Put it in gear and things shifted enough that he lost the crank sensor signal.

the truck will die.... but if you wait a minute or two power comes back and you can start the truck up again.... then it dies and so on.

its like the computer needs to reset for power to return or something.... its driving me crazy.

once you engage the transmission it dies.... sometimes if i can shift into D really fast it wont die... but if i put it back into P it will die.

This is a 92 4LHO AW4

the truck will die.... but if you wait a minute or two power comes back and you can start the truck up again.... then it dies and so on.

its like the computer needs to reset for power to return or something.... its driving me crazy.

once you engage the transmission it dies.... sometimes if i can shift into D really fast it wont die... but if i put it back into P it will die.

This is a 92 4LHO AW4

Did you clean and test the battery cables? Charge and load test the battery? Verify voltage readings?

One step at a time.

yes all that has been done...new battery and alternator.

checked all fuses and relays under the hood and they are not faulty

i also check for loose battery cables, cleaned all terminals, moved the harness around while it was running, check the connections around the fuse box, check the crank position sensor, check to see the transmission is nice and tight...

Last edited:
i had this trouble when i changed my radio out, i removed the steering column covers dash cover, changed the radio, installed everything and had this trouble. mine i believe was a bad ground, and there is a cover over the turn signal box that fell off, i re did my ground, figured out what the hell that black thing was on the ground, put everything together and its fine for the most part, now once and a while if the steering column is all the way up it'll shut off again. like i said this is what happened to me, hope you can benefit from it somehow. good luck...

This is a 92 4LHO AW4

Describe in further detail what "power" you lose--everything, headlights, interior lights, radio, blower motor; or just do you lose spark or fuel pump?

Ok,

well after the truck starts up runs fine no issues. once i put it in reverse or drive doesnt matter... the truck will die so ill loose ignition, fuel pump, radio, climate control... but ill still have head lights and cluster lights.

so i turn the key back and try to turn it forward and ill still have no power so i wait 15 seconds all the way up to 10 minutes then boom power back fuel pump primes, radio is on, climate control works, and starter will crank over.

BUT sometimes once the truck dies as soon as it dies ill get power back right away and i can start the truck again.

ALSO i started the truck up tonight to just let it run for a few minutes in one spot i flicked the heat on to warm it up and melt some of the ice off... 10-15 minutes later the whole truck died.

It seems to me like the head lights and dash lights run on a whole different system seperate from the transmission and my accessories.

something is effecting my transmission when i engage it in any gear (P R N D 3 21)

but either then that the truck runs mint as long as it has power it will start up every time.

thats what im dealing with.

also i wanted to add that sometimes i can manage to get it into gear without it dying if i shift from part to drive quickly.... but as i drive the truck away it will die and ill coast.

Things that have been replaced in the last few months:
Battery, starter, alt, blower motor resistor, ignition switch, fuel pump, blower motor.

Last edited:
Back