• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp sending unit location.....

DirtBound

NAXJA Forum User
... i cant seem to find the temperature sending unit on my 4.0 97' xj.... this book i have says its on the left rear corner of the engine block and it is no where to be seen in the left rear corner... any ideas???

Start a camp fire with your Chilton/Haynes manual. If you are going to do any serious service work on your Cherokee, you should own a Factory Service Manual.

97-01 the coolant temp sensor is on the thermostat housing.

Start a camp fire with your Chilton/Haynes manual. If you are going to do any serious service work on your Cherokee, you should own a Factory Service Manual.

97-01 the coolant temp sensor is on the thermostat housing.

Yes, both the Haynes and Chilton manuals are good for starting fires, and you can also hang them up in the outhouse where they really belong.

Tim_MN has you covered.

Yes, the sensor that comes off the driver side of the t-stat housing is the sensor you are looking for. The older ones have it in the rear of the head on the drivers side.

Not to hijack but i have a 96 with a 98 4.0 from a grand in it. How am i going to get my temp sensor working. It previously had just the dummy light so i never realized that it wasnt doing anything untill i installed a new cluster with the actual temp gauge in it.

Find the wire for the sending unit, it should be purple with a yellow tracer, located at the back of the head. Pick a place to install a sender for the gauge--I drilled and tapped a hole in the flat spot at the front of the thermostat housing since it is easy to get at and puts it in the same location as the computer temperature sensor. Note that the sender uses NPT thread so you need a plumbing tap. Once it's installed you can extend the wire under the injector loom to keep things clean..

xbaadleej-
the 'light' sender is a switch (on or off only).
-for gauge a sensor is needed. Mopar 56027012 for a 96.
connector is white and reads ohms on a multimeter.

I just put in a cluster with gauges instead of dumb lights in my '95 jeep and I has been chasing down on why the temp gauge dont go up as the engine become hot. After looking around in autozone.com and alldatapro.com which shows there's different sensors used depend on what clusters are (gauge or dumb lights).

I wonders can I just get "gauge" temperature switch to replace the "light" temperture switch then I should be good to go? or I will need do more than just that?

TIA!! I'd love to have the gauge to work!

I believe for the 95 you need to change the sending units for the temperature and oil pressure from the "idiot light" on/off style to the "gauge" style variable resistor type. Is the new IP cluster from a 95?

oil pressure sensor work fine because I got it off my other 4.0 so I am good on that one. I need the "temperature switch" (thats the name for the cluster light/gauge)

yes my "new" clusters came out from another '95 XJ so should be same

I am hoping that the sensors will swap right in (no connector or wiring modifications)

I got the temperature switch swapped out for the "gauge" cluster and now it work! its just a plug-n-play

I am glad that I did this because I can see that the engine do run a little hot at idle, which I will not know without this swap.

Verify the gauge display with an infrared temperature gun on the housing, or by reading the temperature through the engine computer, before you believe the data. I've gone through several senders trying to get one that matched up with the engine computer.

I am not concerned how accurate it is, what bother me that when I am at a stop light or a drivethrough, the gauge raises about 30* and will go up more if I dont rev it or moving or turn the A/C off.

this is what I am concerned about right now

Sounds like you are losing antifreeze. Have you notived steam coming from the tail pipe? Air pockets cause the temp to go up, revving the motor pushes the water pump harder pushing fluid through where the air pocket was....

When was the last time you replaced your water pump?

Notice any leaks from the radiator?

I just replaced my head gasket last weekend. Noticed temp spikes, couldn't keep fluid in the radiator. Cold weather masked the steam ouput in the exhaust initially. Once the engine warmed up it was just enough to expand the gasket and stop the antifreeze from making it to the compression chamber...... I know, not good news, just be aware of the potential problem. Eliminate the simple ones first.....

i have a similar problem. i just bought a 1996 XJ and it has the temperature gauge in it but it does not work. then again maybe it does... just thought about it. I really haven't ran it long enough to warm up and then looked. it wasn't runnning when i bought it. I just put the trans back in it. i believe i located the switch on or near the thermostat housing. Maybe, I will have to run it for a while and see if the gauge moves.

Anyway, if the sensor is bad will the gauge move at all? Is there a way to test the sending unit/sensor?

NORMAL presentation of a weak/failing manual clutch fan is overheating in the drive-through/at a stop light/stop and go traffic, then when you kick up the RPMs the fan will manage to move enough air to cool things back down.

Replace the fan clutch.

Back