• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes and stereing

242_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
After replacing aged calipers pads and rotors i get my tires rotated at my local off road shop. after driving home i noticed sever wobbling in my front end.. my only guess is that he used a mega ass impact to put the lug nuts on with.. mine wouldn't take them off. So i figured my rotors were warped.. everything was under warranty from AZ so just a slight inconvinence.. no money spent.

Also my power steering whines an awful lot. And i'm gettting piss poor gas milage barely 200 miles a tank. no lift just 235's. Changed the fliud in it but no dice.. Is it going to lock up soon? And should i replace it before something does happen? thanks guys

Did you check PS fluid level? Could be low, hence the whine.
Have you loosend the lug nuts and tq'd them to spec? Maybe balance your tires?
Auto/stick? What kind of driving do you normally do and what distances? Just driving to/from work is only 11 miles each way and my mileage takes a little hit.

If it's wobbling after a tire rotation, you should also make sure the wheels are balanced. They can change with time and wear, or shed weights. Don't assume they're good simply because they were good when they were first put on.

If it's wobbling when you drive, rather than when you brake, the rotors probably aren't the cause even though they may also be warped.

Re-torque the lugnuts (if you can get them off).
Replace the whining steering pump.
Then examine your fuel mileage.

Sounds good. I torqued the nuts to 90 pounds. replaced the old rotars and pads. the rotors were cooked. the inside was black. so my guess is that they were rubbing on the caliper. hence why i could barely turn the tires when i lifted it up. I will get the tires balanced and a front end alignment cause it hasnt been aligned in a few years.

PS fluid is brand new and its where it should be. Can anyone give me a run down on changing a PS pump? Never chenged one before. I imagine its not difficult but i want to know ahead of time. thanks folks.

-also its really really easy to steer in the morning when its cold but after it warms up it gets harder to turn.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that two of the tires were cupped. They made less noise/vibes on the back. I just moved em to the back for now...

Sounds good. I torqued the nuts to 90 pounds. replaced the old rotars and pads. the rotors were cooked. the inside was black. so my guess is that they were rubbing on the caliper. hence why i could barely turn the tires when i lifted it up. I will get the tires balanced and a front end alignment cause it hasnt been aligned in a few years.

With the inside of the rotors being black, you may have gotten the wrong rotors from A/Z. There are two different hat hights for the front rotors that can be very difficult to spot. Compare the new rotors to the originals.

Yea I had that problem. I caught it though. These rotors were the right ones. The composite rotors will really rub. So much that it turns into a front parking brake. I just figured that the nuts were so tightened down it was causing the rotor to flex and bend. The guy used a 550 ft lb impact. The torque on the nuts are supposed to be between 85 and 115. So you gotta figure that's a few extra hundred ft lbs than what its supposed to be.

Back