• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting a center console into a base optioned Cherokee

SJRTX

NAXJA Forum User
Ive done searches, and came up empty handed. Id like to put a center console in this 96 base optioned cherokee of mine. Im interested in what is involved in doing this. I assume I will have to add the mounting points? If I pull a console from a junkyard, what do I need to take out in addition to the console?

PS-will a 2wd console work with my 4wd?

2wd consoles have a "loose change" slot in place of the 4wd lever......I suppose you can just cut that out with a dremel? I'm not sure how you'd mount the light fixture for the 4wd plate.

I believe the "loose change" spot just snaps in iirc. You should be able to just snap out the cover and pop in your 4wd indicator. I could be wrong though...

P.S Want to sell the base model trim/bezel? I could use it for a project I am working on. Send me a PM and Let me know, Tim

I was at the pick and pull last Sunday, and I saw two 2wd XJ's. Although I didn't look really close, I swore the console was one piece and the change slot did not snap into place.....I could be wrong though.

The change slot does in fact snap into place. I was at the yard trying to remove one for my cherokee, from a 2wd but i couldnt get it unsnapped, but i saw clips underneath the blank plate though, so i know it comes out.

Ok, so does anyone know what is involved in mounting one in a jeep with none of the full console mounting points? All i have is carpet between the seats (and a parking brake)

When you pull one from a yard pull everything that is connected to the console. The mounting points are all just screwed into the floor. There are two main mounting points IIRC. When you pull it will be very obvious. Unscrew the mounts and you are good to go.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

SJRTX said:
Ok, so does anyone know what is involved in mounting one in a jeep with none of the full console mounting points? All i have is carpet between the seats (and a parking brake)
I recently installed a full center console into my 90, which had never had one. In addition to the two screws your little console is mounted with, there are two other brackets used to mount it. One is under the parking brake (I think; I didn't use that one), and one is at the rear. Besides the console itself, you'll want the heating duct if you use your back seat. You'll need to remove a plastic 'tray' - shaped piece from the bottom center of your dash (just in front of your shifter) to fit the console in there, since it's got that extra compartment in front. You will need to drill the holes to mount your new console; they weren't there in my 90.

Back