• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Issue, then DEAD!

epitaphmike

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few months when I start my XJ I would have to crank it once for a few seconds, stop then crank again and it would fire right up. I read a bunch of post saying my fuel pump was draining the fuel back into the tank and the entire unit needed to be replaced.

Today while driving on the freeway, it just died. I tried cranking it over while I was coasting at 60 and nothing. I proceeded to change the fuel pump which I figured had finally taken a crap.

After replacing it I tried to fire it up and still it just cranks over, but doesnt fire up.

Any ideas?

Check the CPS/CKP crank sensor, unplug and replug it a few times.

What year? Fuel to the rail? Spark? Is the rotor turning?

Posting the year/engine of your xj is always helpful and will provide more accurate responses.

The extended crank problem that you originally had is probably not related to your current no-start.

I'm with Joe, check your crankshaft position sensor and associated wiring. Without a crank signal to the computer, you will have neither fuel (to the injectors) or spark.

Back