• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CLUNK!?!?

tuff_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i drive a 1989 jeep cherokee laredo 4 door and there is this loud clunking noise every time i put it in drive and give it gas... its coming from the rear end somewhere and i dont know what this problem is it doesnt feel or sound right at all!!

Have any of you guys had this problem i was wondering if it could be diff backlash or shot U-joints???

All help is very apreciated
Thanks Steve

it could be either, just go under and turn the driveshaft and see whats loose, works better if in neutral and wheels blocked.

just a thought, but have you checked your motor mounts? I know mine did that when they where going out. It would bang loud enough that it would travel through the whole driveline.

havent checked the motor mounts but im pretty sure now that its the differential got looking into it a lil more... so im just gonna drive it till it pukes outs the rear end cuz its the danna 30 i think right now but i have a chrysler 8 1/4 to swap in it:D which is stronger so that will be my winter project for it off and on thanks for the help though guys!

it would be a 35.

i dont know if you really want your jeep to "puke out the rear end" while your on say, the highway...

id check it out closer, take off the diff cover, and get to work on that 8.25

I dont think its that bad...

It might be your transmission mount. Its kinda hard to see but its between the crossmember and transfercase. After awhile the rubber wears out and rips apart, seperating the crossmember and trasfercase causing an anoyting clunk while driving.

(Even though you think the sound is comming from the rear, check the motor mounts also.)

If it dose it going around corners also it my axle bearings sliding around or going bad. If you have to replace them you'll find that the retainer plates are cupped . Putting 2 retainer plates on the axle before pressing on the new bearing will prevent it from happening again.

ok well what happens, what i did atleast to check it was i put the brakes on and put it in reverse and gave it gas just until the tires would spin, on gravel this is, then i would stop and keep the brakes on and put it in drive give it gas the tires would just barely spin then CLUNK and they would keep on spinning but was also watching the drive shaft and it was spinning like normal everything from the rear driveshaft forward seems fine so maybe its the spider gears?? (i dunno) i started the tear down on my 8.25 axle its half sand blasted now and i want to put a locker in it and swap it with the danna 35 in the jeep now but dont know what kind of locker i should get i want something cheaper but also reliable..

X2 for Tranny Mount, i had the same clunking and i could nt figure it out. My buddy watched for anything to move under the Jeep while i gased it and the tranny jumped right into the unibody. Replaced the mount with a daystar tranny mount and no more clunk! I couldnt tell that it was messed up when it was parked, cause its not like its easy to just push up on the tranny and see if the mount comes apart.
-Allen

Back