• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Down pipe

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
1999 XJ Limited. 4.0L, Automatic.
285 75R16 ~5.5" lift.

I know there is a factory dimple in the XJ. Mine seems to look a bit more dimpled. In fact it looks creased.

CIMG2452.jpg

Would a few of you please post and/or PM me photos of your down pipe so I have some comparison and a better idea if mine is fine or damaged.

My 88 and 90 Renix Jeeps had the downpipe formed in a D shape to clear the driveshaft yoke. On my 90, I had my buddy who owns an exhaust shop make me a new headpipe that swoops back to clear the yoke and without the crease/crimp in it. Noticeable power increase.

I got the Clifford 6 into 2 and then had a custom downpipe 2 into 1 made up with a flex section. Sounds good and feels strong.

On my 99 it looks exactly like this pic. I assume the yoke has hit it when hot. I am planning on cutting it out and use round pipe.

I pushed the dimple out a bit with a heat and a few good blows of hammer and drift .

Back