• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my drag link bent?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
After my last wheeling trip to Rausch Creek the steering just hasn't felt the same. I've been trying to find something broken, loose, etc, but so far found nothing obvious. The drag link has a bend/curve to it between the knuckle and where the tie rod attaches. I don't remember if that was there before (original). How does it look to you guys?

IMG_0672sm.jpg

Thanks John. I don't have one to compare to here.

The tie-rod is straight but I have a Rusty's on it's way anyway. The factory tie-rod is ridiculous. You shouldn't be able to flex a tie rod with your hand that easy! :eek:

I have an aftermarket bumper with the mounting plate that goes way past the steering box mounts so I'd guess that's okay, but I'll check anyway.

I just put on a set of RC drop brackets before the Rausch trip and it really rides much better. On the way back from Rausch the the steering wheel was crooked and it felt sloppy. This weekend I checked everything out, added some caster (it was at 0), centered the wheel and checked the toe (1/4" in doing the tape measure alignment). It feels better, maybe it's fine now, but I've been driving the Kia to work the last week so maybe I forgot how the XJ feels some, hehe. Maybe the DBs just settled in? :dunno:

Thanks John. I don't have one to compare to here.

The tie-rod is straight but I have a Rusty's on it's way anyway. The factory tie-rod is ridiculous. You shouldn't be able to flex a tie rod with your hand that easy! :eek:

I have an aftermarket bumper with the mounting plate that goes way past the steering box mounts so I'd guess that's okay, but I'll check anyway.

I just put on a set of RC drop brackets before the Rausch trip and it really rides much better. On the way back from Rausch the the steering wheel was crooked and it felt sloppy. This weekend I checked everything out, added some caster (it was at 0), centered the wheel and checked the toe (1/4" in doing the tape measure alignment). It feels better, maybe it's fine now, but I've been driving the Kia to work the last week so maybe I forgot how the XJ feels some, hehe. Maybe the DBs just settled in? :dunno:

If the steering wheel was crooked after the wheeling trip you, almost certainly, bent either the TR or the DL a little. Very common problem.

:)
Fred

Back