• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota axle swap

tugalo

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know if an XJ/MJ rear axle will fit under an early Dakota, or vice/versa? Blew up the Chrysler 8.25 axle on my Dakota and want to replace with a 3.07 jeep axle.

I looked at an 8.25 a friend had, he thought it was a 44. It came from an 86 Dodge Dakota, and they made them with an 7.25 and 8.25 axle setup. The spring perches and WMS to WMS were the same, but I think the shock mounts were both on the back side of the axle as opposed to one front, one back. So, I think you'd be alright to swap one in so long as you could move one of the perches for the shocks to the front/back of the axle.

Can't say at the moment - but I'd appreciate a WMS-WMS measurement and a model year if you get the chance.

Take a pic of the centre section if you need help identifying the axle - but it's often a C8-1/4" (sometimes a C7-1/4", sometimes a D44. I'd have to see if there are any other possibles, and my notes only go up to 1997 at present...)

My dads 92 is a 6 lug and it has a funny bolt pattern. I think only a Nissan Titan and another truck share the pattern IIRC.

Dakota 86-91: 5 on 4.5" BC

Dakota 92+: 6 on 4.5" BC

I've used XJ wheels on my '87 Dakota 4x4 and they fit great. The axles look identical except for the shock mounts. The Dakota 8.25 from 86-91 all all 27 spline.

7.25 independent on the 86-96. In '97 they started playing around with the center sections. I know my wifes '02 4x4 is a D35 (gasp!).

Thanks all for your replies.....thats what makes this the BEST forum.
The donor truck is an 89 MJ Eliminator, 4.0, 2x2 with an ax-15. the acceptor is an 87 Dakota 3.9L, 2x2 with a Chryco 904 tranny. I went out in the rain to take some photos but I can't figure out how to post them....
Both shock perches are on the rear of the 8.25 axle that is currently in the Dakota.
Jon..I will try to figure out how to post the photos....

tugalo - upload the pictures on www.imageshack.us then put img tags around the url imageshack gives you, like this:

whatever.jpg

Dakotas are all spring over on the 4x4's like the XJ. The 2wd is sprung under like the MJ.

Be careful looking a Dakota axles as the early ones can have 2.94 gear ratios (yuck!). My 4x4 has this ratio in it. Other ratios found in the Daks are 3.55 and 3.90. I've thought about swapping an XJ rear in mine with 3.55 just to see what happens.

Can't say at the moment - but I'd appreciate a WMS-WMS measurement and a model year if you get the chance.

Take a pic of the centre section if you need help identifying the axle - but it's often a C8-1/4" (sometimes a C7-1/4", sometimes a D44. I'd have to see if there are any other possibles, and my notes only go up to 1997 at present...)

my brothers dakota has a 9.25, his is a 98, 2wd.

Back