• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost Of Rear Main Seal Replacment

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I live in an apartment and dont think i can tackle this one in a parking lot. I just used the Bars Leak Rear Main Seal Stop Leak (band-aid) for now see if it works.
I will probably have to bring this to a mechanic does any one know what this will cost me to have fixed. Thanks

Also someone had told me to check the PCV as if it is clogged it can cause more pressure in the engine which could be why it started leaking more. None of the local part places carry them they it is not required is this true :doh:

this is true, Jeeps use a CCV system rather than a PCV system.

I think the last guy who posted up here got charged 2-300 for a rear main seal but I am not sure. Personally I would rather try and tackle it in the apartment parking lot at that price.

I just did mine and its not fun but not too terrible. I think its around 600 or so because it requires alot of stuff to be disconnected if its not lifted. Google this site go jeep-xj I think that it will help you make your decision on doing it yourself or paying to have it done. Good Luck

make sure you give bars leak a chance to work. seal swellers can take up to 2-3000 miles to work. mike

My trusted (really) mechanic quoted me $15 for the seal, $35 for the pan gasket and $560 for labor. I did it myself in 6 hours on a gravel driveway. Most of that was getting all the stuff out of the way, getting the pan off, putting it all back together.
Well worth the work, saved myself over $500.

Around $300 or so is what I was quoted, but I am sure that included labor for an oil pan that actually came off in a reasonable amount of time. I did it myself and prying the baked on cork gasket away from the block was by far the hardest part. one-piece gasket FTW

CCV is built in to the valve cover. The rear grommet, with the small vac hose going to manifold. You can clean out the hose with compressed air or run a wire through it. The front grommet is fresh air from intake, large hose.

If either is damaged, cracked or missing, replace them. Don't try to redneck it with duct tape etc. (same goes with ALL other vac lines).

Thanks for the help will check out the hoses and clean if needed.

As far as the rear main seal $500 is alot of coin but I think I would rather get this done right and not have to redo something like this again. May be I will get lucky and the bars will work :doh: will give it acouple of days and see.

Thanks for the help will check out the hoses and clean if needed.

As far as the rear main seal $500 is alot of coin but I think I would rather get this done right and not have to redo something like this again. May be I will get lucky and the bars will work :doh: will give it acouple of days and see.

At the rear of the valve cover, there is an orifice in the valve cover, a small drill bit or stiff wire will clean it out, and don't forget to check the opening in the intake manifold port too.

Back