• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Questions

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple quick questions. I'm gettin ready to slide the 8.25 back under the heep and I'm installing new shocks. When I removed the old shocks the metal sleeve that goes throgh the bushing on the axle side shock mount didn't come off with the shock. The way it looks to me the lower mount is made that way. So do I need the sleeve that came with the new shocks? Because they will not fit over the stud.

Second question

I just ordered some new RuffStuff diff covers and I read somewhere that you could grind the bottom of the housing on the 8.25 to match the diff cover. Does this weaken the housing or will I be OK? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Droopy

The lower shock mounts with bushing only, no sleeve. The lower mount is made to replace the bushing sleeves.

You can grind quite a bit of the bottom of the housing without compromising integrity. If you look closely you'll see that you can take off the square edge and round it off to match the cover. It won't hurt anything and I know of many that have done it and had no problems.

Mount your rear cover and use it as a guide to cut the lip off of the Chryco rear end. You do not need the sleeves with the lower shock mounts.

Not the best pic but you can see I just cut mine right to the cover. I also raised my shock mounts to keep from dragging them on every rock.

15.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Did you make your lower shock mounts or did you order them somewhere? The stock lower mounts look a little flimsy to me and the hang down way too low.

Thanks for the tips. Did you make your lower shock mounts or did you order them somewhere? The stock lower mounts look a little flimsy to me and the hang down way too low.

You use the stock lower shock mount, cut, and then move them up and weld them on. Check out the following link for a great "how to" write up. Simple and easy fix!

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearShockM.htm

Last edited:
Mount your rear cover and use it as a guide to cut the lip off of the Chryco rear end. You do not need the sleeves with the lower shock mounts.

Not the best pic but you can see I just cut mine right to the cover. I also raised my shock mounts to keep from dragging them on every rock.

15.jpg

how's that "mono-shock" setup working for ya? :D

J/K looks good.

Back