• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade 1 Ton Steering

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
As college graduation approaches my Jeep is getting closer to becoming a trail rig (assuming I get a job and can afford a small economical DD). I've gotten rid of most of the cheap parts I installed as a naive teen but the only part left I have not replaced that I don't see taking much abuse is my Rusty's steering setup.

I'd like to build something basically identical to JCR's 1 ton setup over Christmas break. I can buy the rod ends and poly spacers for about $160 from them which means all I need would be the 1.25" DOM tubing. I work for a mechanical contractor so I have access to all the bits, reamers, and other tools I'd need to make the links. Can anyone see any problems I'd run into?

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me the length of the links so I know how much to buy and how long to make them.

Thanks

The 7/8-18 taps are automotive (GM) specific. So unless you know someone that does this sort of thing, your going to have to buy taps. Or buy weld in threaded bungs.
7/8"-18 taps are far from automotive specific and can be purchased for any reputable hardware source!You will need a LH tap though which costs a bit more the a std RH tap.

7/8"-18 taps are far from automotive specific and can be purchased for any reputable hardware source!You will need a LH tap though which costs a bit more the a std RH tap.

7/8 -18 isn't a common size tap. Your right about them being available at places like McMaster carr. The left hand one is about $100 though, not something many people use. The right is a little more common since it's the size of many spark plugs, speedo cables, etc...

7/8 -18 isn't a common size tap. Your right about them being available at places like McMaster carr. The left hand one is about $100 though, not something many people use. The right is a little more common since it's the size of many spark plugs, speedo cables, etc...

Well having to buy those would pretty much make it impossible to save money by doing it myself. I'll ask around to see if anyone has either. Anyone else know the lengths?

Back