• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid on tire

doglove

NAXJA Forum User
I was on the ground looking for my cat and noticed my left rear tire is sprayed with what I think is brake fluid. I tried to find the source of the leak, but all I can figure is it's spraying from the metal end of the brake line. The line itself seems to be intact and dry.

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

My main question is - Am I going to die driving it to the shop 10 miles away Monday, or should I have it towed?

My second question is - Any idea what this might be?

Check your brake fluid level.
Looks like a blown slave cylinder
That line your looking at is the E-Brake cable

Last edited:
x3 looks like a Blown wheel cylinder!

Don't rule out a bad axle seal.

Don't rule out a bad axle seal.

Yep, could be both. You can smell it, but please don't taste it! :skull1:

If one wheel cylinder is bad, replace both.

That looks like brake fluid, doesn't look thick enough to be diff fluid. My guess would be the wheel cylinder. If you look in the pictures, the back of the wheel cylinder is a little wet, too. Mine would leave a nice puddle for me every cold morning. Yanked that stupid thing out and installed ZJ discs. :)

I'd def say its a wheel cylinder, if thats the case, might as well do both sides. also most likely you have brake fluid soaked rear shoes, which means they are junk! replace those (cheap). If i was you, do both rear wheel cylinders, new spring kit/auto adjusters ect ect and shoes. drums if needed. But like i said at min i'd do the wheel cylinders and shoes since they most likely are brake fluid soaked. Obviously a full brake fluid bleed/flush is needed as well.

Nevermind.

Use the proper tool to get that nut off of the slave cylinder -- you don't want it rounding out on you.

Obviously a full brake fluid bleed/flush is needed as well.
Why is a "full brake fluid bleed/flush" obviously needed? As long as the fluid is in good shape, then he just needs to bleed any air out of the lines after the cylinders are replaced, a flush wouldn't be needed.

Why is a "full brake fluid bleed/flush" obviously needed? As long as the fluid is in good shape, then he just needs to bleed any air out of the lines after the cylinders are replaced, a flush wouldn't be needed.

Push down on the pedal, shoots out fluid through leaking wheel cylinder, release pedal, sucks in air. :doh:

right, so you bleed the lines... bleeding brakes usually doesn't require a full flush. I sure didn't need to flush my lines when I replaced my leaking wheel cylinders with disc brakes. Just used my nifty Speed Bleeders and topped off the master cylinder when I was done. Only used a couple ounces, not even close to emptying a pint bottle.

I usually do a full flush just to make sure - the fluid costs so little I'd rather not play around with something that important.

right, so you bleed the lines... bleeding brakes usually doesn't require a full flush. I sure didn't need to flush my lines when I replaced my leaking wheel cylinders with disc brakes. Just used my nifty Speed Bleeders and topped off the master cylinder when I was done. Only used a couple ounces, not even close to emptying a pint bottle.

If you don't know (new to you vehicle) or have forgotten the last time the brake fluid has been completely changed, then it is time to change it.

The word is Hygroscopic, as in pulling moisture from the environment and being changed by it.

^ X2 - I knew there was a reason. Same reason you should always keep brake fluid containers tightly sealed and if it's been quite a while, get a new sealed container. This also explains why my XJ came with chocolate colored brake fluid down near the rear axle :shocked: - I don't think the previous owner EVER flushed the brake system.

Most people don't ever flush their brake fluid. It's a good idea at least every two years, but at least do it when you work on the brakes if you haven't done it withn a couple of years. It saves a lot of parts in the long run, aside from the safety factor of the water boiling in the fluid.

X2 on changing both wheel cylinders if you do one. Keeps the braking even on both sides.

Back