• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this noise?

Brett J

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. If so please direct me to the right place for this. I would appreciate it, however for my question. I have an 01 XJ and it has a little two inch coil spacers and shackle extenders. Now whenever i get on the gas alittle or let off, I hear a bad thumping rattle sort of noise. Could this be that the angle for the driveshaft is bad because I didnt mess with the t case or is it more likely its the u joints. Please help me. It sounds bad.

Can you record the sound and post it?

This is also where it is nice to have your town in the location. If you are close, I can come listen.

Last edited:
i highly doubt two inches would cause driveline vibrations, i could be wrong though.

This thread has been posted here in OEM and in MOD both.

Can they be combined?

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. If so please direct me to the right place for this. I would appreciate it, however for my question. I have an 01 XJ and it has a little two inch coil spacers and shackle extenders. Now whenever i get on the gas alittle or let off, I hear a bad thumping rattle sort of noise. Could this be that the angle for the driveshaft is bad because I didnt mess with the t case or is it more likely its the u joints. Please help me. It sounds bad.

Yeah where are you in Colorado?

Might be the UJoints, take a look down there! It'll be pretty obvious.

i highly doubt two inches would cause driveline vibrations, i could be wrong though.

Its extremely common on 97+ rigs lifted or not!Jeep even has a TSB(repair) for stock rigs.

Im in littleton Co and unfortunatley I cannot record it. Its pretty slight, and yes, this thread is combined with the one in modified. I didnt know where to post so I decided I would do both. I apologize. What is a tsb repair?

Im in littleton Co and unfortunatley I cannot record it. Its pretty slight, and yes, this thread is combined with the one in modified. I didnt know where to post so I decided I would do both. I apologize. What is a tsb repair?

Technical Service Bulletin,its a level below a Recall and is volentary.

Its extremely common on 97+ rigs lifted or not!Jeep even has a TSB(repair) for stock rigs.
96+ actually, it relates to the transfer case output housing / slip yoke design change. I know because I have a 96 and got the new design.

Littleton huh? There is like 3-4 of us out here.

Post up in the Colorado Section, one of us might be able to come out and take a look to get a better feel. Next weekend I'll be pretty free it looks like.

Back