• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss of guages

murrow96

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there, I'm new to this forum but have heard good things and from what I can see You guys know your stuff.

I searched the best I know how but are limited on time since I have my daughter on the weekends only.

I have a 96 xj that I swamped out in a hole about 2 weeks ago. I replaced the distributor cap and plugs but could not get the rotor off. Does it not just pull off? Got it running changed all the axle fluids. checked the trans but no water came out so didn't drain the entire thing.

It idle rought and had a dead spot with and the check engine light cam on. found that I had busted the post cat o2 sensor off and so that was the light I figured. But then about a week of driving to work it started shifting funny or not at all. Then yesterday all my guages just stopped working.

So any suggestions would be awesome. Also if someone knows of a GOOD manual with GOOD wiring diagrams that would be helpfull or at least a layout of the fuses if nothing else. thanks again sorry for the long story.

Last things first: Go to http://www.autobooksbishko.com/index.html

Bishko has Chryco LICENSED reprints and CDs of the original FSMs; the CD data is in PDF format, can be installed on your computer's harddisk drive, is searchable, and printable, and the price is right for a complete manual set on a single disk. Their reprints are, of course, more expensive than the CDs, but about what you would have to pay on eBay or Craigslist.

Ok, you went submarine in a surface craft. Before you go throwing parts or doing any testing, you need to start pulling connectors apart and drying them out, cleaning them, and then putting in some dielectric grease. Once you have got them all done, if things still aren't right, then it is time to start testing. If you try and test with wet connections you will be chasing your own tail (if you have one).

Around here NAPA has the best price on large tubes of dielectric grease.

Ok well I knew the hole was deep. This was the first time I had been by it with a group of people and my 35's so I thought I would give it a shot. So I eased into it so no splash hydro lock then punched it.

But there apparently is a tree root that is about 18 inches around in the bottom about half way and when I hit that it shut me down so water went up the exhaust and filled the pass side floor board.

I replaced the cap and wanted to replace the rotor because the contacts were burnt when i pulled it to clean it. Plugs got about 60,000 on them so I replaced them too.

So I will start with the connectors tomorrow and go from there thanks for the input.

I found a link to a 97-2001 fuse locator. Are they that much different? I would like to know what componnent I'm checking when going throught them. This is my daily driver so I need to get it going asap.

The 96 was the first year of the OBDII, so expect some differences but major components will be pretty close.

As for the rotor, it should pull off. Get a new one and then grab the old one with pliers.

Good luck. If you still have issues when all done post back, or if all is good post back with that too.

PS--don't forget the NSS and connector at the transmission.

Well got some time to check it out Sunday. Luckily it was just a fuse. I had checked all the bigger ones 15' and up thinking it would have to be one of those. I was wrong it was a 7.5 amp that powers the guages.

So since I had been messing with my CB hook up I will now wait and see if it pops again. Hopefully it doesn't because I hate chasing harness'.

Dang homey, you aren't out in the sticks--you is the sticks! :D

Just kidding!

How much snow do you get there?

Well when I was up in the coast range on the van duzer corridor there was 8 inches on top. that was opening day second season elk but it had melted off by sun afternoon out in the open.

Sheridan is only like 500 feet where I was at is like 2000 I think around that maybe even higher.

Well when I was up in the coast range on the van duzer corridor there was 8 inches on top. that was opening day second season elk but it had melted off by sun afternoon out in the open.

Sheridan is only like 500 feet where I was at is like 2000 I think around that maybe even higher.

We get some good snow down here, but like yours it's all up high. Fairly rare for snow on our valley floor, even rarer for it to get deep and last a few days.

Back