• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Drop

Very controversial...
it is about money and ...well...culture.
Yes, you can lower Tc up to two inches with a spacer...
Not kosher...if you have the "BROs" (or Brahda..s) looking at it...
But it works.

$25 instead of about 500 bucks for the SYE and the driveshaft that has to go with it...OK ...less if you wanna go Front DS route..
Again...cultural needs.

Don't tell..butta I gotta a 1 5/8" drop and the DS no vibe no more....(get...OO..huh)

Aloha..and best regards..GO Wheeling..no wannas gonna look under der while you go Ovaa da kine bummps wit da style dat you da kine drivin....
Aloha...

Rig

96 xj
inline six
trailmaster lift 4.5 in the front 3 in the back
just put in 2 inch lift blocks from rocky road

very small vibration perhaps the 1 inch case drop will make it ok

also just replaced engine this jeep will not see much if any offroad again ... i need it to carry kids around now lol

Should've gotten shackles not blocks. Xj springs are too soft for blocks. You can drop the t-case but you are putting your fan closer to the radiator and putting your motor mounts in a bind. not to mention defeating half of the purpose of lifting it in the first place.

brandonrob said:
if a 1 inch drop is going to fix the vibration and the jeep aint going off road anymore it is just for looks

Good for you....thats great. You have fun with that.

must....not.....flame............

brandonrob said:
Rig

96 xj
inline six
trailmaster lift 4.5 in the front 3 in the back
just put in 2 inch lift blocks from rocky road

very small vibration perhaps the 1 inch case drop will make it ok

also just replaced engine this jeep will not see much if any offroad again ... i need it to carry kids around now lol

If you swap the blocks for shackles, they help angle your pinion as well which may alleviate the need for the extra t-case drop.

I have an 89 with a add a leaf,3 inch tapered trailmaster blocks and a 1 1/4 inch t/c drop, slip yoke is only pulled out 1 inch more than normal and no vibes,good space between fan and rad, make sure your trans mount is in good shape. been a year so far.

i would have put shackles in but it turned out to be more work as the bolts will not come out without snapping them so i just decided to get the blocks and now the blocks are in... so a tcase drop is like 20 bucks and as far as i can read i think it should help if not get rid of the minor vibration and growling sound when i am letting off the gas

as i said i have a 96 xj... if there is a nut at the bottome of the crosmember i take it they are stutds..... how hard are these buggers going to be to get out???

Use a stud remover or two wrenches and doubled nuts to remove the studs. Replacement bolts will be M10-1.50

just weld the nut to the stud and it should come right out.

First, Skyjacker makes a 1.5" drop kit. You don't have to remove the studs
to insatll it. I've read too many threads about the welds breaking on the
nuts inside the frame rails. (oh what fun)
The Skyjacker kit also comes with a shift linkage relocation bracket.

2nd, the more you drop the cross member, the more everything is going to
hang down. (sucks for off-roading)

Also, the drop will cause the engine to slant back, and down.

Here's a picture with a 1.5" t-case drop.

DSCF6785.jpg

54774313.jpg

Note the motor mounts!

DSCF90901.jpg

I loosened the motor mounts like the instructions said before I put the drop on. Alot of good it did!

DSCF9089.jpg

Here the motor mount was hitting metal to metal:

DSCF9087.jpg

After I took the t-case drop off.. (much better!)

DSCF9247.jpg

Also, the shift linkage before: (tweaked, and rattling)

78076551.jpg

After relocation bracket:

78094571.jpg

Just some things to consider. The t-case drop should only be temporary,til you can get a SYE.

Last edited:
Second cross member? Are you referring to the t-case skid??

Back