• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still have a rough idle

arsxj1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok last week my XJ ran real smooth for 2 days didnt miss at all, then all of a sudden it has a rough idle again. Its almost like if I drive it normal for a few days it smooths out, then if I get on it or take it offroad or something like that is when it starts acting up again. So far I have replaced plug/wires, cap/rotor, cleaned pcv, cleaned throttle body, seafoam in brake booster vac/gas tank, removed catalytic converter. :banghead:

Any check engine light?

A rough idle can be related to dirty fuel injectors. A simple thing to try would be adding a bottle of quality fuel injector cleaner (Chevron/Techron, Lucas, etc) in about 3/4 of a tank of gas can sometimes help to optimize fuel injector spray pattern.

You should also perform a comprehensive search for a vacuum leaks. A vacuum leak is most noticeable at idle and can screw up your idle.

Verifying proper fuel pressure (with a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail) is never a bad idea as a matter of course.

No check engine light. I have run 2 cans of seafoam and a bottle of stp injector cleaner through it added at 1/4 tank so it was strong and put 93 octane in it. I sprayed all the vac lines I could find with tb cleaner but never a change in idle. If it were a vac leak it wouldnt come and go right?

No check engine light. I have run 2 cans of seafoam and a bottle of stp injector cleaner through it added at 1/4 tank so it was strong and put 93 octane in it. I sprayed all the vac lines I could find with tb cleaner but never a change in idle. If it were a vac leak it wouldnt come and go right?

Expand your search for a vacuum issue. Hoses are always suspect but so are larger items like intake manifold, etc.

With things such as that, it can be heat related as heat causes expansion, so it can be symptomatic when cold, but then get better as the engine warms, which minimizes the loss of vacuum.

Finding a vacuum leak can sometimes be equated to finding the elusive "needle in a haystack". And if it is not a hose leaking vacuum but something else such as a gasket, worn throttle shaft, injector O-rings, etc., they can be difficult to isolate. That's where more comprehensive vacuum testing using vacuum gauges and exhaust gas analyzers can be helpful.

Last edited:
Being cold or hot has no effect on how it runs. It either misses or it doesnt. The intake man gasket is new and installed with sealer. I sprayed all around the throttle body and got no change there either.

Look--it only happens when you get on it or go off road.

Those activities have a couple things in common--things in the engine compartment are moving around. Torque and bouncing.

Look for poor ground contacts, look for burnt or bare wires making contact with metal.

Just for grins and giggles, what is the condition of your motor or trans mounts?

The mounts look ok. Ill have to check all the grounds to make sure there ok. Everything I can see with my eye looks ok.

The mounts look ok. Ill have to check all the grounds to make sure there ok. Everything I can see with my eye looks ok.

Electrical connections are buggers. Things can look good, be bad. Just go ahead and clean and re-tighten all of them.

Any electrical contact cleaner will work, but you want to disconnect those grounds and then make sure the metal of the connector and where it will attach is taken down to shiny metal--Dremel tool or sandpaper. Then use a corrosion inhibitor (any paint store) to keep things from, well, corroding, and then put it back together tight.

What is suppose to happen when you disconnect the o2 sensor? When I disconnect mine nothing happens at all. Is that normal? The loom has been frayed off the wires close to the sensor itself. They look ok but is it possible one maybe pulled loose.

I found another vac leak on the line coming off the fitting that goes to the fuel pressure regulator. Didnt change anything though. Still lost...

UPDATE... It has started acting up again. I have started paying closer attention to it and it misses <1500rpms anything >1500rpms it runs smooth. Does this help to point something out? :dunno:

Back