• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems after ball joint install

Sinton

NAXJA Forum User
I had a "clinking" coming from the front passenger side while in motion. Replaced the axle front axle U-Joint, clink is gone. Also decided to replace the upper and lower ball joints on that side since I had everything torn apart. Now I've got problems. The Jeep likes to do what it wants, wanders the lane at 60-70 mph and the steering is touchy and wants to drag right.

A bit of history:
I replaced the tie-rod, drag brace and steering stab with Currie Enterprises. Got it alligned after that, no problems. U-Joint went out, replaced that and the balljoints on right side and then had it alligned. Drove from New Mexico to Florida with the wobble (man, that's a long drive and didnt have time to trouble shoot). Just had a shop here in Florida check out my work and the allignment (thinking I screwed something up with the ball joint). They said it all checks out good, but the allignment was a bit off. Fixed it up the best they could for me to dampen some of the forces and suggested I install an adjustable upper ball joint.

So what say you? I did a little research on the forums, but did not find anything dealing with issues AFTER ball joint installation. Oh yeah, stay off the road between Florida and DC, Im driving up over the next two days. The Air Force doesnt care if your vehicle is safe or not, JUST GET THERE!

-Sinton

what happened when the u-joint when out? did it break or just get loose? if it broke then the ears of the inner and outer shafts may have jumped on top of each other and bent the inner knuckle. that could be why they suggested an adjustable balljoint to help correct the increased camber caused by the bent C

Nah, U joint did not break, just worn enough to start making the metallic sound and stop it's fluid movement.

So you're thinking maybe a new steering knuckle?

Look for anything loose, lay under the Jeep and get someone to turn the wheel back and forth, you will find it. Also, what kind of shape is the uni-bearing in.

Yes, I greased. Hub assembly is a new Timken. Tie-rod and the rest of the steering components are good. Did not torque anything except for Hub Nut. I've had bad experiences with torqueing. But I will in this case and see if it makes it relax a bit with the steerage. And how can a ball joint get overtightened? I will be in DC in two days and reattack then. Wish me luck. Lookout for a Purple Jeep on I95!

I made it...barely...very wobbly from NM to DC.........very wobbly. Wore the inside of my front right tire down significantly. Got a nice "pop" during hard right turns. Also think I blew an axle diff seal due to fluid weeping from the right axle tube... Check engine light came on yesterday. Minimizing driving while the wife and I get set up on base.

Can anyone refer me to a good shop in the DC area? It's gone beyond my limited knowledge of noises.

-Sinton

You mentioned that you only replaced the right side ball joints. So now you have nice new tight balljoints on one side and old possibley worn on the other. This would create a wondering issue. I would replace the left side and see how it go's.

Latest: Nice "clunk" when making right turns...gotta be the ball joint. I'm going to have it replaced by a mechanic and see how it goes. It was all fine until I started playing with it. haha.

Sinton

Ok, took it to a shop one of the on-base mechanics recommended. I had to get it fixed, didnt have the time to gawk at it myself, and was at a loss to what it could be.

The ball joint was not fully seated. Even though I bottomed out the ball joint press when I did the install. He also found a caliper bolt that was stripped. Same one I sheared during the inaugural run of the lift (that one caused a clicking and forced me to replace the knuckle). He also replaced my sway bar brushings. The jeep is not scary going beltway speeds.

Having the mechanic work on my jeep was both a blow to my ego and wallet, but at least I can get to work.

Sinton

Back