• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple 8.8 ?s

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
Planning on going out junkyard shopping Saturday and am looking for an 8.8 specifically. I've done a lot of research over the last few weeks and have most of the info I need. Still have 3 questions though:
-Exactly how common are the 4.10s with the LS option?
-Did 4.10s only come in V8s, V6s, Limited, etc. Or were they available across the board
-Would swear I saw something about there being a few 4:56 geared ones out there, but haven't been able to find this anywhere else. True or false. If true how common are they?

The ford trac-loc's are kinda crappy. If you plan on going with a lunchbox locker in the future, keep in mind that you'll need an open carrier for that. They won't install into a trac-loc's carrier.

The ford trac-loc's are kinda crappy. If you plan on going with a lunchbox locker in the future, keep in mind that you'll need an open carrier for that. They won't install into a trac-loc's carrier.
I was under the impression that a lunchbox locker was a bad idea for an 8.8 with the carrier being a weak point.

I was under the impression that a lunchbox locker was a bad idea for an 8.8 with the carrier being a weak point.
Probably is if you plan on flogging on it hard. The carrier is supposed to be the weak link, I've heard the same.

I've not had any trouble out of mine, YRMV. For the average wheeler, it's usually not an issue.

You can rebuild the trac-loc with the cobra clutches that should help it last longer and lock harder or you can run an extra clutch in there.

I heard the only 8.8 that had 4.56s in it was from a ranger and they are lower spline count, drums, and maybe a little bit more narrow.

Back