• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Lift on the Market

xjwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Well I am about burnt out looking through forums and using search modes to find a thread or discustion on this.

What is thee best Long Arm kit on the market. Which one will offer me the most flex and drivablity. No regaurds to money. I know some people judge them with the price in mind but i am not.

I know i could either make my own or have some one build me a custom kit but right now im just trying to find the best one out there. That one kit that pretty much can do it all and hold up to a bit of abuse.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wrench

Search on here regarding long arms. There is no consensus on the best. Read what people think and base your decision off what you need, what is important to you, etc, etc.

So pretty much its between these

TREKSTM Offroad Equipment's 7.5" Y-LinkTM long arm suspension system

Clayton off road XJ 8.0 Inch Coil Conversion Long Arm Lift Kit

RE extreme duty long arm 5.5" (but to short want at least 7 to 7.5)

The Rock Krawler COMP 6.5 X Factor Plus Long Arm Sytem with rear coil conversion (I can make up the last inch or so of lift.)

So now that i have it down to that list. Any feel strongly about these. I have done a search on here and on pirate and a few other sites and really havent come up with much. Just a few pros and cons. Dont get me wrong i know there is no perfect kit out there.

it would all be based on opinion. the two i have heard the best about are treks and claytons. so im sure either way, you'll be happy

The perfect kit would be the kit you make yourself. For me, that kit would include a "true" 3-link up front, and a dual triangulated 4-link out back.

Check out the Iron rock offroad mid-arm 3-link... looks nice for the price.

Ive heard good things about the BDS 4 link

I just looked up the bds kit the only thing i dont like is the use of blocks in the rear. I have spit blocks out a few times. But I could just order a set of leaves for now or order a coil kit for the rear.

The Iron rock off road kit i have hurd really bad things about. I talk to a guy that had it on his cherokee up at Raush Creek he broke the hole front set up on a very easy trail.
justjeep94 i sent you a pm

not really tryinn to throw a wrench in the spokes but just curious, as a newb would the rough country 6.5 la be worth while? start there maybe? is rustys 6.5 la any good?

i would do a BDS longarm conversion. i would definitely recommend using the leafs as well. you dont have to use their complete kit. mix and match what you want

not really tryinn to throw a wrench in the spokes but just curious, as a newb would the rough country 6.5 la be worth while? start there maybe? is rustys 6.5 la any good?

The RC kit looks nice and I would probably buy it. The Rustys Kit, however, He needs to get his stuff on the right track like RC did. I hear he's a good dude but everyone like to bash his products without taking things like that into consideration.

Any kit running a radius arm set up, as most the long arm kits do, will offer almost identical flex. They all flex pretty good, but are really hard on bushings. I am running a Clayton kit and am very happy with it, but I noticed you listed the coil conversion kit version in your options list. Are you also thinking about converting to coils in the rear? I would only advise this if you do a fair amount of river bed and rock garden wheeling. The advantages of coils over leafs in the rear of XJs are otherwise not justifiable, IMO.
Clayton stuff is really stout, but so are most arms out there. I rarely hear of people bending or breaking links from any kits. It is often the track bar that gets overlooked in the need for strength.
If price is no issue, I would say either buy a 3 link kit, or have a 3 link custom made. There is a lot of geometry involved with making a functional and drivable kit, so whoever builds it needs to be good. It will flex with much less binding than the radius arm kits. When it comes down to it, though, you have to limit your flex to save shocks and brake lines anyway, and all the kits can flex enough to max those out. Just with the 3 link, you should have to replace heims less.
Also, 8" of lift is rarely necessary. Keeping a low center of gravity is more important to most wheelers. Unless you are running 38+ tires, 5-6" would be enough. If you end up with coils in the rear, this will be an even bigger issue, as body roll can be more intense. Being the tallest and/or having the best RTI ramp score does not a kick ass wheeler make :lecture:

I like the BDS upgrade a lot, it's 4-link and adjustable length which can't be said for any other kit that I know of

BDSLongarmUpgradeKit.jpg

Can't say I love their crossmember as much as Treks

I do understand that a high center of gravity is bad. And due to the body rolll yes i do see it being an issue. Im not looking for the tallest truck but i do want it capable of doing rocks and mud. I play in both. Right now i have a d44 and a 9 inch and am going to a D60/14b. The Coil Conversion was just an option. More and more people i talk to have varying opinions on them but how it looks they have all said if your playing in the mud keep your leafs in the rear. Just adjust for shackle angle and it will be a more stable vehical then it would be with coils. I will be running 38s there already seting in the garage.

As to me im not a fan of RC Dont get me wrong for the price its a pretty good deal. But as in to holding up around where i like to go, they just dont hang. To many broken lower control arms and track bars.

So i think the conclusion is to go with a clayton long arm kit with leaves in the back. See if they make a 6.5 leave with a 1 inch shackle and not the 5.5 leave with a block.

I like the BDS upgrade a lot, it's 4-link and adjustable length which can't be said for any other kit that I know of

BDSLongarmUpgradeKit.jpg

Can't say I love their crossmember as much as Treks

Rusty's is adjustable, but i agree that tnt has the best crossmember/belly pan.

xjwrench;244679044 So i think the conclusion is to go with a clayton long arm kit with leaves in the back. See if they make a 6.5 leave with a 1 inch shackle and not the 5.5 leave with a block.[/QUOTE said:
Definetly go with Clayton if you want the strongest out there

The Iron rock off road kit i have hurd really bad things about. I talk to a guy that had it on his cherokee up at Raush Creek he broke the hole front set up on a very easy trail.
justjeep94 i sent you a pm

I haven't been able to find too much on the Iron Rock kits, good or bad. A local fellow has the 5.5" for about a year now and it seems to work well for him. He wheels every weekend. I was considering getting the same suspension but maybe I"ll look for more info. Anywhere in particular you can direct me that has some reviews of their kits?

Back