• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Stuck

Mr. Notorious

NAXJA Forum User
I just read through all results from the search and couldn't find quite what I'm looking for. The 96 XJ I just bought, every time I lock it (manual locks), the drivers side door gets jammed. I took apart the handle and lock assemble on the interior and pulled the lock rod by hand with pliers, and nothing. The only way I've gotten it unstuck was to put the key in the lock and turn it from full lock, to unlock, about 15 times. Then finally when I push the button it will work. I can open and close the door all day long if it's unlocked. Oh and when turning the key into the locked position, it's not a smooth motion. Has a weird feeling in it.

If I go ahead and try to take off the panel, how do I start? I see there's 2 screws on the bottom of the arm rest, but what about the window crank (manual windows) and the strap to grab the door (does it come off with the panel)?

Thanks for your help...

not sure bout 96 as they changed in 97
for the window crank on my 97, you push the trim around the crank out (push towards out of vehicle) and there is a little clip that fits around the crank (locking it to the door) push or pull that pin out and the crank will come off... try not to lose it sa I did one of mine, now the crank falls off all the time... argh.
can't say anymore as I am not familiar with the 96 door panel.

Hey
I have taken the pannel off many times on my 89. You have to take off the arm rest with the 2 screws. Then the window handle just popes off but you have to pull on it a little. Its a pressure fitting. then starting at the bottom of the pannel pry it out but be careful cause there are little inserts that hold the pannel on and if you break them your looking in the junk yard for a whole new one. After you get all the pressure plugs out the top of the pannel clips into the top of the door frame and just requires a little wiggling to get it out.

I have the same problem with my 96 2 Door Cherokee.
But both of my doors have the problem. I am gonna tear the panels off and take a look, but would love some input into a solution.

PBen

Thanks, I'm going to try and pull off my door panel today if it ever stops pouring up here in NY. I plan on soaking everything with PB blaster, cleaning everything, look for anything bent, then lubing everything will lithium grease.

Anyone else confirm which way to take the handle off?

For future reference, I got it to work. I took apart the door (man that door trim tool from advanced auto is nice!), opened up the weather membrain, and pb blasted the lock, handle, and striker with pb blaster. Then I sprayed everything with some silicon spray. Everything works great now. I ended up spending some time and cleaning out all the gunk out of the striker. Then I went and hit all the door strikers with that silicon spray. Oh and the window handle does pop right off. Thanks, hopefully I won't have to worry about this again!

Thanks for the tips! I had exactly the same symptoms and had basically resigned to not locking my drivers door since it as a crap shoot whether I would be able to open it afterwards. Yesterday it stopped opening all together and in searching I came across this post. After the 45 minutes of easy work, I am pissed I didn't do this earlier!

PB + silicone lube = the win

Back