• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange revv'ing (maybe?)

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So for a long while I had a hackjob side exhaust. I just installed a dynomax cat back exhaust.

So I installed the exhaust and it is quieter than my previous cherry bomb hack job (a good thing), so MAYBE it's just that I can hear the engine better than I could before...

So I started up the Jeep and it seemed to have a difficulty starting at first, that could just be because it was a week or two since it was started so the hard start is probably not an issue; it then kicked over eventually and was idling fine.

Background on the "test environment": I have no doors and my hood is raised inside of a garage, and I am reaching in and hitting the throttle with my hand. The garage door in front of Jeep shut, so its kicking the noise right back at me. I did have the other garage door, the back door behind the Jeep, and the window next to the Jeep open for ventilation.

So I rev the engine and it sounds fine. I hear the engine itself rev up and when I let off the throttle it rev's down normal... then it sounds like something else takes a second delay before it starts slowing down. All I could think of is the fan rev's up with the engine; and IIRC It is on a clutch so it may start slowing down a second after the engine itself. Does that sound right?

Also while I have your attention :D, does a new exhaust usually kick out a bit more exhaust smoke than normal as the internal coatings and such burn off? I think I remember that happening briefly when I did my cherry bomb... but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks!
-Scott

You answered both your own questions.

I'm sure you're hearing the clutch fan and yes new exhaust will smoke for a while on initial start up.

You answered both your own questions.

I'm sure you're hearing the clutch fan and yes new exhaust will smoke for a while on initial start up.
Alright, thanks.

I thought it was OK, but I wanted to be 100% sure before I let it run for any extended period of time incase something wasn't right. :)

Back