• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.50 or 10.50

Protoxis

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all i have been searching threw your fourm for awhile now and have gotten some really good info but i have a question that i cant seem to find

i will be running a RE 5.5 lift i would like to run a 33x12.50 but have been told that will require triming and i will rub, and that a better combo would be a skinner tire. what do you guy think?

trim, TJ or bushwacker flares and 35's.........trust me if you don't do it know, you'll wan to soon. And XJ with 5.5-6" of lift make 33's look small, hell my 35s are starting too.

I dont want to go to a 35 yet, for a few reasons 1) i will be staying at a 3.55 for a bit 2) I am have read that 33x12.50 may rub. I was also under the impersion that i will need to run about 6.5 to clear 35s

to answer your question, you will rub only when flexing out. dont go 10.5 because it will look like chicken feet after a while. The 12.5 will give it a nicer looking stance. Are your rims between 4.0 and 4.5 backspacing?

I was going to pick up some 4" steelies the tire that i am planing on running is the 33x12.50 Truxs i have heard all good things about that tire.

IMG_0097.jpg

This is a pic of my 90, i have the re5.5,with 33x12.50x15 truxus on black steelies, i did cut a little.But i could clear 35's if i choose to later.I like the way the 33's look IMHO.

Sean

Well personally i prefer narrow for several reasons:
lighter
tighter to axles for greater axle strength
heavier psi contact patch
with the right BS you can stuff 'em
better in snow and mud (seen it all up here (Canada)so i won't even argue.)
less rolling resistance = better fuel economy
they look better imo
you can use a smaller rim, again lighter weight.
tighter turning radius.
I probably missed a couple but those were off the top of my head. Many will disagree, because of where they wheel and the terrain. What do you want to do with your rig?
AT or MT? What part of the planet are you from? What are your rig specs?;)

Minor trimming on the lower fenders and bumpstops will get you by. Adjust out your steering stops and that should help with any issues.

thx for the feedback all

I have decied to go ahead and go with the 33x12.50 TrXus I like the look of a wider tire plus i really wanted to run the Trxus and would have just settled for something else and then want to change it out in a few months. right now the XJ is just a AW4, 4.0L, 8.25, D30 Stock. :D now i just got to find my wheels with either 4" or 4.75Backspacing

Protoxis said:
thx for the feedback all

I have decied to go ahead and go with the 33x12.50 TrXus I like the look of a wider tire plus i really wanted to run the Trxus and would have just settled for something else and then want to change it out in a few months. right now the XJ is just a AW4, 4.0L, 8.25, D30 Stock. :D now i just got to find my wheels with either 4" or 4.75Backspacing
I ran 33x10.50 Swampers for a while, then switched to 33x12.50 SSR's, mainly for better flotation in the snow, where the 10.50s act like pizza cutters.

Good decision on the 33x12.50 TrXus. I like those tires more and more.

-----Matt-----

narrow is better, I run 33x9.5 XJ are very lite for too wide of tires.. I never spin on the rocks with 9.5. had 12s before, don't work at all, spinning on everything,
US is the only place that put 3 FT wide tires on 4x4 :-D thay are for drag racing not lite weight 4x4. there is a chart somewhere that shows what size of tire you should get for the weight of your 4x4..

drbobxj said:
narrow is better, I run 33x9.5 XJ are very lite for too wide of tires.. I never spin on the rocks with 9.5. had 12s before, don't work at all, spinning on everything,
US is the only place that put 3 FT wide tires on 4x4 :-D thay are for drag racing not lite weight 4x4. there is a chart somewhere that shows what size of tire you should get for the weight of your 4x4..

:dunno:

i have been considering going with the trxus once the mtr's are worn out. now i know they are considered "heavy" in relation to other brands, but imo the mtr's are pretty freakin' heavy. anyone know offhand how much heavier the trxus would be(if any?) than mtr's of a comparable size, say 31x10.5's?

Back