• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluctuating oil pressure at idle

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I searched and all the threads I came up with were people having fluctuating pressure while driving. Also it seemed to be high pressure.

Mine reads normal oil pressure while driving but when I'm at a stop it fluctuates just barely. Is this likely the sender still that would cause it to bounce slightly at idle?

97 4.0, fresh oil and napa gold filter.

I wouldn't worry about a tiny bit of fluctuation as long as the gauge shows that you have "adequate" oil pressure. For the Jeep 4.0, that means 13 psi of pressure at hot idle or greater. If the number itself is in question, temporarily hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to verify your exact pressure.

If the fluctuation bothers you, try unplugging the connector for the oil pressure sending unit and cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner.

Or replace the sending unit. I have (by far) had the best luck with oil pressure sending units purchased directly from Jeep. Aftermarket stuff is very hit and miss. Mostly miss.

Back