• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question regarding hitch install

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
So I just traded away some LCA's for this hitch. I have a couple of questions actually.

1. What size bolts do I need to pick up?
2. How exactly do I bolt it to the unibody rail?

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN
dscf4305p.jpg

dscf4307n.jpg

dscf4308t.jpg

dscf4309.jpg

dscf4310.jpg

In order to do it the way you are *supposed* to do it. You need the nut strips. Your XJ should already have the passenger one, but unless you have the skid plate, or you had the factory receiver you do not have the driver's side nut strip.

Here are the nut strips that came out of my 98 XJ for reference:
Nut_Strip_02_800x600.sized.jpg

You can get new nut strips for like $15 a pop. I'm sure somebody can provide you with the link.

In order to install the nut strips, you will have to pull the back bumper, slide the strips in, and put the back bumper on. And use lots of anti-seize.

Lastly, that's a universal style receiver. I'd be alittle leery to use it personally. The center section is pretty much held to the outter brackets by 1 bolt per side.

Note: This info is based on a 97+ XJ, eariler models may be slightly different.

Mine is a 98. And I didn't know it would be this difficult. So I will need nut strips. What size bolts do I need and how many? And you wouldn't suggest I use this hitch?

I use a hitch like yours and it hasn't left anything sitting in the road. I mounted mine and after getting it bolted together and sized to the xj removed it and plug welded the holes and around both ends of the center section and welded all bolted together joints

as far at the bolts, on the side thats bolts the exhasut, the pass side, the nuts you need are installed, pull one and go get more, i got mine from a junkyard since out of a cherkoee.... theyre are really heavy duty....i also made my nutstrip it was rather easy,,.,.....ill post a link to a writeup if you want

I believe that the OE nut strips use a Metric bolt/studs. M12-1.5? If you search I'm sure it's on here somewhere. If it's not too rusty under there, it's not a difficult install, just takes some time. Getting the bumper off and chasing the rusty threads in the existing nut strip were the only real difficulties. I'd recommend new nut strips of either style, just to save some time and trouble.

edit- that hitch may not line up with either nut strip- my Curt (XJ specific) came with metric bolts/nuts for the OE strips, and thick square washers, carriage bolts, and nuts- the latter may be what you need to install that particular hitch.

Last edited:
as far at the bolts, on the side thats bolts the exhasut, the pass side, the nuts you need are installed, pull one and go get more, i got mine from a junkyard since out of a cherkoee.... theyre are really heavy duty....i also made my nutstrip it was rather easy,,.,.....ill post a link to a writeup if you want

Hey if you can post a write up that'd be nice. Also what junkyard you get your hitch from? This hitch supposedly hangs low and ruins the approach angle. My XJ has a 3" lift with 31"s on it. And I care about clearance ;).

It seems like this hitch is nothing but a headache. Thanks for the links. I'll see what can be done.

Hello hupo224,
This is good timming, I just now finished putting a hitch from a '98 on my '97. The nutstrip has to be installed on the drivers side (US Version/Right Hand Drive). I would suggest you chase the nut strip, nuts with a tap. You will need a 12mmx1.75 tap, get the die as well, incase you bugger the bolt. The bolt you need is a M12x1.75x45mm.

You need to remove your bumper, I used a 10mm socket and wrench to remove the plastic bumper material from the metal section of the bumper. If you remove just the metal bumper section, and not the bumper supports. You can get a shallow socket 15mm on a 3/8's ratchet in there, it is easier if you have a flex head ratchet.

I bring this up because once you install the hitch, you will be even harder pressed to remount the bumper, if you removed the bumper, and supports. Theres a 15mm flanged nut on the top inside of the metal bumper section, and a 15mm bolt under the bumper. Just pull back the plastic end caps, and remove the metal bumper section.

The factory strips are riveted in, they do not hold well. I drilled them out and installed self tapping M8x1.25x25mm bolts, they have a 10mm head pattern. They will tap into the strip, trick is to install a prybar or something to hold the strip down, while the self tapping bolt is being installed. Once you tap in the nut strips, chase the threads of the nutstrip, you should be good to go. I hope this helps you out. Scott.

Last edited:
One of my strips was without a rivet I guess it fell/wore off? Another thing about going back up with the hitch. You will be better off getting the exhaust pipe out of the way. You could either bend the bracket, or just install the tail pipe bracket/nuts last. That way if you install it last you move the pipe easier. Scott.

I also just completed this task on my '00.

I also added the fuel tank skid, which made this even a more challenging task.

I got new frame rail pieces online and bolts locally, ran the bolts through the painted threads, still fought the alignment, but it wasnt cause by the threads, but getting it all aligned for threading the bolts straight.

Tip, to make the threading of the bolts much easier, I very carefully ground away the 1st 2-4 threads to assist self aligning of the bolt to the nut with all of the pieced sandwiched between them. (nut, channel, skid, hitch, exhaust hanger. When I bought the new bolts, There were a bit longer than I needed, but I was very glad I did, Used that extra length for the self aligning factor.

Back