• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Jeep with auto Headlights!

Adam5170

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys.

I have a UK '96 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L AW4

I had troubles with my headlights a while back (no dipbeam) so i replaced the switch, (genuine Jeep) problem cured i thought!

A few months later i now more problems, headlights suddenly started flickering while driving and a couple of times the headlights wouldnt power up at all, no dash lights either. I hope i can rule out the switch at its a genuine brand new switch, when it flickers i can hear a relay clicking in and out behind the dash. Ive looked into a search on here and found various problems but nothing concrete. I can get any access to a wiring diagram either.

Ive read the connector under the airbox can corrode but can that cause the dash lights to fail also? I would have thought it was a loss of power to the switch to lose everything headlight related?

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Adam

No headlight relay OEM.

With the dimming I would check for grounds. Fouled up headlight ground could be causing issues back through the switch and effecting the dash lights.

Start with renewing the headlight grounds, heck, good time to renew all grounds.

Hey Adam, have you changed the dimmer switch in the column, or the pull-button in the dash? My '96 will occasionally do what you've described, and I'll just cycle the high-beams a few times, and it's good. But, the scary part is who made the dimmer switch inside the column clamshell. Does LUCAS ring a bell? When I saw that recently when I had the wheel off, I had (not so) fond memories of the '72 MGB we had back in the day. Fun little car, but for as often as it didn't run, it would have made a dandy planter!

No headlight relay OEM.

With the dimming I would check for grounds. Fouled up headlight ground could be causing issues back through the switch and effecting the dash lights.

Start with renewing the headlight grounds, heck, good time to renew all grounds.

Hi Joe, thanks for that. Where can i find the headlight grounds? Is that the connector i mentioned under the airbox?

Hey Adam, have you changed the dimmer switch in the column, or the pull-button in the dash? My '96 will occasionally do what you've described, and I'll just cycle the high-beams a few times, and it's good. But, the scary part is who made the dimmer switch inside the column clamshell. Does LUCAS ring a bell? When I saw that recently when I had the wheel off, I had (not so) fond memories of the '72 MGB we had back in the day. Fun little car, but for as often as it didn't run, it would have made a dandy planter!

I changed the actual pull button 'on' switch, my dimmer switch is part of the pull switch also? Is this different to US cars? I can dim my dash lights by turning the pull switch anti-clockwise when lights are on. (when they work!)

Lucas certainly rings a bell over here, so does an MG although thats abit before my time. Both not doing so well anymore!

Seems like we are into some terminology confusion here. We also have the dash light reostat in the headlight/parking light on-off switch with the twist action. Then we have what we would normally call the "high beam switch" aka "headlight dimmer switch" built into the multifuction switch on the steering column.

On my '96, with the Lucas high beam switch, occasionally the headlights will fail to come on after pulling the dashboard switch on. Simply cycling the dimmer/turn signal stalk will get them to come on. Probably dirty. Everything else works fine. This is what i thought the OP was referring to.

Seems like we are into some terminology confusion here. We also have the dash light reostat in the headlight/parking light on-off switch with the twist action. Then we have what we would normally call the "high beam switch" aka "headlight dimmer switch" built into the multifuction switch on the steering column.

Oh i see! I know what you mean now. Just for clarification, i changed the main light switch not the headlight switch on the multi-stalk.

Ok guys, no power at multiplug behind drivers headlight bulkhead/under airbox when lights witched on so its clearly a power issue. As i said, headlight switch (on dash) has been replaced so its time for some in depth wiring diagram action unless you can think of anything? No corrosion in multiplug someones greased the plug internals so its practically like brand new in there.

Back