• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body upgrade

nickPRO

NAXJA Forum User
hey there! im in the process of upgrading my setup and i would like to change my stock throttle body to a bigger diameter one, now i understand that the biggest diameter i can upgrade to is 62mm without any major mods , against the stock ones 58mm? ive found several in the internet , from painless, hesco etc! anyone had any experience with those or used a different one that he could recommend to me? thanks in advance!

Your stock TB can be bored to 60mm, either in your garage or at a machine shop. Search for one of the several DIY write-ups. 60mm is sufficient for any mildly modified 4.0L.

hey there! im in the process of upgrading my setup and i would like to change my stock throttle body to a bigger diameter one, now i understand that the biggest diameter i can upgrade to is 62mm without any major mods , against the stock ones 58mm? ive found several in the internet , from painless, hesco etc! anyone had any experience with those or used a different one that he could recommend to me? thanks in advance!

assuming you have a 91 and up.

what other mods are you doing?

I have mine bored to 64mm. The only real difference I see is better throttle response. I would not spend any money on the throttle body unless you are doing a stroker. There are really not any gains worth the cost.

Your stock TB can be bored to 60mm, either in your garage or at a machine shop. Search for one of the several DIY write-ups. 60mm is sufficient for any mildly modified 4.0L.

At 60mm you can still use the stock butterfly.
Any bigger than that and you need a new butterfly.

And the intake manifold port is 60. I agree with JeeperJohn. The improvement is in throttle response and that is about it. Don't forget about the venturi in the intake hose between the box and the TB. You may want to remove that too.

Back