• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 radiator replacement problems... :(

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm trying to put a much needed 3 core radiator in my 01... Only thing is the lines for the trany fluid don't match up with the new radiator at all... I even took it back to checker thinking thay gave me the wrong radiator but after looking at another one they had in stock and calling another shop to look at theirs they gave me the radiator thay say is for an 01 cherokee... the new one just has two threaded holes (top and bottom) while the ones i pulled off look like this...

Bottom still mounted to the pipe that the new rad. doesn't have...

100_3500.jpg

Now taken off the fitting.

100_3511.jpg

Now the top one..

100_3509.jpg

And this is what i have on the new radiator both top and bottom.

100_3512.jpg

(you can't see very well but that is threaded on the inside)

Has anyone run into this before?? I know that my 89 uses similar connections for the tranny lines but WTF is going on here?!?! I need to get this up and going ASAP because this is a DD.

Edit: i was not the one who painted the old one orange, and also it is possible that the radiator i pulled out is not exactly for this jeep because the PO said that he bought it off his buddie in moab because his broke, so thay might have done some shifty things to make it work for this application. But all the lines look to be stock... Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
Nevermind. I've just decided to get an aftermarket oil cooler instead.

No idea... Just whatever checker sold me.

Some radiators come with new fittings that thread into the hole(s) in your picture. If the new rad didn't come with then, you could use the ones from the old radiator assuming they are removable.

But, an aftermarket oil cooler works too!

Some radiators come with new fittings that thread into the hole(s) in your picture. If the new rad didn't come with then, you could use the ones from the old radiator assuming they are removable.

But, an aftermarket oil cooler works too!

The top one was removable but the lower one was welded in place. I'm almost done now anyways just gotta eat and pick up a length of hose for the oil cooler. :)

I won't have any premature failure because i'm bypassing the radiator will i? I don't see any problems with doing so but that's just me haha.

It looks to me like the new radiator has a standard double/inverted flare fitting on both top and bottom, with the standard flare nut... problem is, the XJ OEM lines have an outside nut on the flare instead of an inside nut, and on the bottom, one of those cursed quick disconnect fittings. Some flare nuts, a double flaring tool, and a small bit of steel line plus some hose clamps will solve the problem - unless you are doing fine with the oil cooler.

Even though you are going to use an aftermarket cooler, here is some info from a parts guy......me

That new radiator should have had a small plastic bag in it as well. I should have a screw in piece to go into that and have the pipe end on it, so it will look like your original. I have sold many of these and have seen a couple without the fittings in the box.

Terra,
Most of the stock radiators have that pipe as part of the side tank. Not all but almost all...

HELP! I'm in the middle of replacing the radiator on my '01. How do you remove the lower trans cooler line in the top photo? Does it just pull off or do I need a special tool?

I've used two small flathead screwdrivers to push the small tabs down while I worked the line back and forth. Once the tabs are over the ridge, I press down on the remaining tabs and it usually comes off. It's not fun and takes some practice, but it does work.

A much easier method is to use a fuel line disconnect tool such as this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946337000P?keyword=fuel+line+disconnect+tool

I have a tool that performs a similar function, but it's too large for the transmission cooler line...one day I'll breakdown and buy a smaller set.

I managed to get it off using most of a small hose clamp. Getting it back on the new radiator was even worse. The outlet for the trans cooler line on the new radiator was slightly larger diameter than the old one. I had to file it down quite a bit to get the trans cooler line back on. My new radiator is a two row CSF, anyone else have this problem?

I managed to get it off using most of a small hose clamp. Getting it back on the new radiator was even worse. The outlet for the trans cooler line on the new radiator was slightly larger diameter than the old one. I had to file it down quite a bit to get the trans cooler line back on. My new radiator is a two row CSF, anyone else have this problem?

Was it from Radiator-Barn.com? I just bought a two-row CSF from them and had to do the same. Fortunately, the outlet line was brass and I made quick work of it with some 200-grit sandpaper. Finished it off with some 1000-grit sandpaper so it was nice and smooth.

Back