• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interesting oil article

Yes, i understand, but what im saying is how he states that oil with the least additives you can get away with should be used and smaller differences in the weight of oil are better (10w-30>10w-40) which i find interesting any how i thought there was some interesting information/ opinions in the article

I think Bob the Oil Guy is on crack....or working for someone who isn't Lucas Oil....

A ten-year old article would seem appropriate for vehicles that are anywhere from twenty-five to nine years old! :confused1

JUST KIDDING!! :jester:

A ten year old article on oil is just as relevant today as it was yesterday--not very! Way too many advances/changes in the past ten years.

Use an oil viscosity as recommended in the owner's manual for the temperatures you are operating in.

ZDDP is an additive that has been virtually eliminated from modern oils. It is supposed to reduce excess wear on the flat tappets in the 4.0; how much, and even if it is truly necessary in low-compression engines is debatable. I hold with the school of thought that if it was necessary then, it won't hurt now. I use Shell Rotella 10w30 Dino oil.

"In the olden days", the wide spread of oil weights in a multi viscosity Dino oil was a problem. When 10W-40 was introduced, it had a problem breaking down quickly. Also a reason why air cooled (high temp.) motors such as VW's (and lawn mowers), often recommended straight weight 30 oil.

All this stuff is thrown out with synthetic oils. Some may be relevant for dino oils. The good thing about synthetics is that they will maintain high temperature oil viscosity, but flow well to get quicker oiling on cold temperature start up. But you have to pick through the synthetics to find ones with ZDDP.

But again, the low tech, low stress antique design of a pushrod inline 6 will probably run fine on any oil you put through it as long as you change it before it sludges up.

Back