• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Exhaust System Fixes

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm in need of a new exhaust system. My exhaust manifold is cracked so bad I might win a prize if I posted a pic. My muffler has some holes in the bottom, so once exhaust starts making it there I'll need to fix that.

So..... what about just going to the JY and pulling a manifold. Having a 88 makes it a little harder to find one aftermarket anyway and I doubt the power gains are that much better. Besides, longer term plans are for a Stroker, which uses a HO head for best performance right? Therefore I'd need a new manifold then anyway wouldn't I? Why not just go with OE replacement. Danger is how long before the replacement cracks. Cost at JY is $20.

Next is the muffler, now I should be open to searching all the 100s of cars to find a muffler. Should I just look for one that is about the same size and shiny?

Thanks for you advice.

Oh, and I've been reading that I should get a flex pipe to go after manifold to reduce stress.

Do I really need that Cat Converter if I don't have emissions inspections?

If you want to avoid violating federal law, yes.

If you already have one - use it.

As for mufflers - a new one costs 30 bucks on RockAuto, why would you use a junkyard one that might not be designed with anything but a Honda 4banger in mind and will inflate as soon as you hit the gas hard? Either find one off another Jeep or other truck with the same size and inlet/outlet sizes, or just buy a new one, OEM quality ones aren't pricey at all.

I have read, in JP Magazine, that you can use the 91+ headers on a Renix, and that the only problem MIGHT be that the stock or current downpipe may not line up with the header. Anybody else confirm or deny this?

I have 1 year on my welded manifold. I know Ill hear a lot of crap BUT I gas welded it and it has lasted.After welding I normalized the whole area with the torch and let cool slowly.This is a cheap way to do a repair which you will only need til your engine swap.I would guess an exhaust shop would charge 50 or less for the weld job.If you were close to me I would do it for free. That is with the manifold out of the Jeep.

The 91+ headers will not have a bung for the EGR, but that can be welded on by a muffler shop.

E manifold can be used, but be aware of alignment. The ports on HO blocks are in a different location than non HO heads. It is not enough to say they don't work but it is on the edge enough to say that alignment in assembly is important.

If you are going to stroke, why not get the E Manifold now? Of all the headers availalbe, Borla is the on of two of the best for the 4.x engine. Expensive but has a 100,000 mile warranty! Just a recommendation for consideration.

Back