• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 wiring to power a '97 powertrain

High Idle

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing a powertrain swap and have decided to go with the OBD1 system due to lack of time to figure out the OBD2 wiring.

I know the distributor and flexplate are different, but they have the same amount of wires and do essentially the same thing. My question is, will the '93 PCM know the difference if I use the flexplate and distributor from the '97? The only thing I would really have to change is the plug ends for the CPS or even the CPS itself and the distributor plugs are a perfect match, unless the wires are in a different order in the CPS and distributor pick-up plugs or they send different info to the PCM.

The flexplates are the same for all HO--OBDI and OBDII.

I don't know about the synch sensor in the distributor, check part numbers on rockauto.com, you can probably just swap the sensor to the newer distributor if the part numbers are different for the sensor.

Use the CPS/CKP for the PCM you are using.

Thanks for the replies and help.
My biggest concern was the flex plates being different and having to pull the trans to swap them. Apparently I read way too many threads trying to find the correct answer, which further confused me.

Now my next issue. I discovered today when trying to match up the '97 trans harness with the '93's main harness, that the '97 is an early '97 with i'm assuming '96 leftovers. There is only one speed sensor on the trans and the FSM for '97 list 2. So I am looking for correct wire colors and plug pin-outs for a '96 AW4 trans solenoid plug and trans range sensor plug. They seem to be very close but I want to be sure before I start to cut and splice.

Thanks again.

Back