• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower isn't working

teevexj

NAXJA Forum User
So wintertime is finally here and I've been putting this off long enough..
My blower motor wont blow, not entirely sure why but...the heat works!
I can feel the heat being forced into the cab when driving, so my heater core and all other stuff are doing their job just wont blow. I'm not sure if its a bad blower motor or if the wiring just might be gone, possibly even my control switch I don't know.
What I would like to know is what usually goes first so I can get a starting point and stop freezing my a$$ off wherever I go...I hate wearing a jacket while driving.:bs:

blower motor resistor pack. does the blower motor work on the "high" setting? if yes, then its the resistor pack. if it doesn work on high, then break out the volt meter.

It doesn't turn on at all...where should I put the volt meter and what should it read?
I'm going to pull out the whole heat control assembly, maybe something is fubar'd behind there.

I got apart my control module for the heat, and it hisses when I change from heat to vent and so forth, but it's still not blowing, I checked the wires they all seem ok and everything else is working...so would it maybe just be my hi-lo selector? I got it all apart right now, need some info so I can complete it.

Unplug the fan and jumper power to the fan. It is not uncommon for the brushes to wear out and the fan not work. Alternative is to smack the blower motor with a hammer to try and dislodge stuck brushes.

Havn't applied power directly to the blower motor yet but I will try that, I am getting power to all the switches and to the motor, I just checked it with a meter...but I will try the hammer thing and jump power and report back.

Ok I jumped it and tapped it and nothing...but I do have a red wire with a single blade terminal coming off from the wiring harness that goes into the blower motor and it is not connected to anything but has POWER...wierd...I looked in my haynes and couldn't find out where it goes...anybody?
I'll get pics and post it up..

wire.jpg

wire2.jpg

If you are getting power to the motor and it's not working, the motor is probably bad. Do you have 12V and a ground going to the motor? It should work. Sorry, don't know about your other wire.

Alright, so I will have to replace the blower motor...off to the store I go.
Thanks everyone for the help, and if anyone has any idea about that wire, post up I'm clueless!

Thanks everyone for the help, and if anyone has any idea about that wire, post up I'm clueless!

dont know about that wire, but on my 89 2dr sport with no a/c, no power windows/locks, no cruise control..... i have atleast 10 female wiring harnesses that dont connect to anything. it depends on what options your jeep came with.

Do you guys have under-hood lights? I have one on my 00, 87, and 88... Each connector is different, but similar to that one. They are all powered by a single wire. Maybe that's what it's for?

I have that wire on both 87's. It has always been unplugged, I have no idea what it goes too. My blower motors work.

Check the resistance to ground for the blower motor, since you've got power. If the ground is good and you've got 12V at the plug then it's likely an internal short/bad bearing in the blower moto.

Back