• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Such a Silly Question

NewToJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
and this has been searched, but the answer never comes up...

Can someone please tell me what the RECOMMENDED OEM tire pressure is for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic with the 16 inch 5 spoke wheels is???

I'm currently running everything stock, including my tires, and want to maximize my MPG. Right now i'm running 36psi front and rear? Good/bad??

Thanks

Some guys will run them at max psi, for best fuel effieciency ( hypermilers)? may cause some abnormal wear though

Look on the tire...

Run it just shy of what the tire says at MAX COLD PSI - It's tire specific, not vehicle specific...

...whether it's a "2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic with the 16 inch 5 spoke wheel" or a 1994 Nissan Quest minivan with spinners...the information is on the tire.

[FONT=&quot]When in doubt, read the owner's manual.
The pressure indication on the side of the tire is the maximum pressure, not necessary the correct one for the weight carried.
For example, my XJ has 33" X 10.50" X15" KOs. The sidewall states 60-psi maximum pressure. I run them at 26-psi front and 24-psi rear to get an even wear pattern.
60-psi would ride like rock and would have only a thin strip of rubber, down the middle of the tire, in contact with the road.
With stock tires on stock rims, let the Factory engineer’s recommendations be your starting point.[/FONT]

If you have a 242 or select trac TCase, do not have different preasures front to back. It will cause shifting issues in and out of 4WD.

The best tire preasure is best determined by using the chalk measurement method. Do a search, it has been cover sooooo many times. I wonder if this sight would be better set up as an XJ encyclopedia with all the information stored in all the threads!

It is not tire specific. You should never go over what the tires say, but the ideal is to get the front and rear tires to be the same rolling diameter - i.e. the center of the hub should be the same distance from the ground. You can run as high or as low as you want as long as that is held constant - be aware of the funky wear pattern issues bcmaxx listed already though. The rolling diameter will be different on the front and rear if you put them at the same pressure while towing or on some vehicles (including the XJ, I believe) due to the different weight distribution - the engine and driver are near the front, the back is a big empty box unless you are carrying gear or people.

You go by the sticker in the door for the correct tire size.

With normal road tires, I usually run the max pressure rated on the tire. This will give you the best gas mileage. I wouldn't do that with some of the off-road tires that are rated at 60PSI. I run my 2000 at the 35 PSI that is stated on the side of the stock tires. I have never had a tire start to wear out in the center from overinflation, but I do like to run the corners a little hard, which tends to wear out the outer portions.

Back