• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd

is the 2wd in good shape?
all the 4wd parts will bolt right up.
You'll need from the 4wd:
trans
t-case
front axle
front driveshaft
center console shift bezel
t-case linkages
maybe some wires to turn on the part/full time lights in the dash.

I bought a 89 2wd ($50) and got a crashed 87 4wd ($200) so far I think I'm ahead of the game. Everything just bolts right in.

You might have a little problem with the front axle vacuum? Just search the posi-loc here and your in.

Don't think he'll need the posi lock, the 94 was a nonCAD setup, so no motor to deal with.

bamajeepjunkie said:
the motor is bad and the rear axle tube is bent ,it is a 94 and my parts xj is a 88, i don't care if the parttime dash light works

I converted my 94 using 88 parts also.

If both vehicles were/are automatics there are a few other issues i'm aware of that you'll need to do to convert it over.

Extend the 94's 2WD speedo harness.

Swap the 94's trans speedo assembly (electric speedo) to the 88's transfer case (mechanical speedo)

Swap the 94's trans kickdown cable to the 88 trans (HO cables are longer)

Swap the linkage lever (on trans) from the 94 to the 88...there is a difference although which was longer escapes me at the moment.

I believe that was the only other issues other than the parts list as mentioned earlier. Have fun....

Back