• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weld the front axle lock and minor trussing Q

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
I just welded the rear end locked and trussed. I want to do the front too, but I dont want to do something that I shouldnt then it would be too late to turn back.

When I did the rear, I learned that I shouldn't weld the spider gears to the carrier, because the welds just cracks so I assume the carrier's not a mild steel.

I used some DOM to mildly trussed the rear axle, I will truss it more eventually if it still not broken.

I am thinking about "rebuild" the front end by pull all of the hub ends including the knuckles, axle shafts, etc then pull the carrier to weld it lock. I noticed that the suspension brackets arent fully welded on the both side so i will do finish weld them up for piece of mind. I am thinking about truss the inner C's by using some 1/8" plate to box the upper C's and use some 1/4" on the lowers. I think I will weld in some 1/8" plate on the lower control arm mount as skid plate.

I want to use the DOM to tie both of the tube together, but there is not much room on the driver side to tie the DOM in. I will find a way, but if you have done them, I'd gladly to see a few pic on how you did them.

See anything bad or should be done a bit differently? The XJ is trailer queen, trail rig, no street driving at all, have IROF 6.5" LA and 34" TSL's

TIA

:wave:

Trail rig or not,youll be fighting it all the way.Lincoln Lockers dont belong in the front,a "selectable" will definately help manuvering where even a Lunchbox locker cant!

Back