• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Catalitic converter location

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question incase anyone knows off the top of their head.

Where was the cat located (stock)? I.e. was it located in front of the t-case crossmember, behind the crossmember, over the crossmember...? 1993 XJ, 2 door, AX-15

My exhaust has become quite a hack job over the years and currently have no passenger side floors so I am going to completely re-do the it correctly.

I am stopping by the JY for a new tail pipe one of these days because the P.O. had replaced the stock one with a tailpipe from a 2.5L (I wondered why it rattled around for a while before I checked it out). I then had to replace the muffler and noticed that it wasn't the correct size tailpipe so I just ran a side exhaust to save time/money. Side exhaust has worked great as a side exhaust, just figure it will get hung up easily now that I will be hitting more trails.

I want to say that my cat is currently located over the x-member (at least partially).. Should I move it forward and run it in front of the x-member, move it back and put it behind? does it matter at all?

Thanks
-Scott

Behind the crossmember, at least on a 96. I have an inch or two between the cat inlet and the back side of the crossmember - one of the exhaust hangars is welded on right there.

Behind the crossmember, at least on a 96. I have an inch or two between the cat inlet and the back side of the crossmember - one of the exhaust hangars is welded on right there.
ok, thanks. Exhaust hanger is welded on right where? I feel like I originally had one hanger on my x-member or T-case itself... Don't recall really.

That is going to be my big problem now. I have such a hack-job exhaust hanger setup right now that it will be difficult finding spots for new hangers. Maybe it will be easier this time around since I will be starting from scratch. Just gotta pick up a number of straight lengths of exhaust pipe from autozone this evening, then get to work on that tonight. The big "hope" now is that my muffler and cat are OK (I know the top shield of the cat has rusted out a bit so its a bit lose, but those tend to rot off easily anyway).

I would get a cat-back system from some company - way easier and I bet it'll cost about the same. At lunch I'm heading out to mail some stuff so I'll take a peek at my hangar location... though I booger welded a new one on when my old one rusted off, so I may be a bad source for this info.

Eh, aftermarket might end up getting pricey, not to mention that it uses stock hanger locations (most if not all of which are missing from my rig).

Maybe I will look into aftermarket. What is the cheapest aftermarket cat back?

Edit: I know I could get cat back... then pick up a perf. cat if I was really feeling like blowing $$... Anyone know somewhere to get the downpipe (or whatever the exhaust pipe that goes from the header down to the cat is called)?

That is where alot of my issues came from originally... I had a decent size hole rotted in that so I cut it off further up toward the engine and moved the cat up (and added/relocated a number of hangers in the process). That in turn pulled the rest of the exhaust forward. Which is when i realized I had the wrong tailpipe to begin and just turned the exhaust out to the side and forgot about it.

Last edited:
My cat should still be fine. I bought one from autozone in the past few years. It's just the metal heat shield that goes over the top that is a bit loose. I think the rivets (or whatever they used) to hold on that top just rusted through. I will probably throw a couple new rivets in and call it a day (or just take the heat shield thing off all-together). Then I may end up buying a cat-back. I should get a new muffler since I have an older cherry bomb and it could use a replacement anyway (not a straight through or glasspack type muffler though).

I will just get a couple straight lengths of exhaust to relocate the cat to behind the x-member where it should be. seems like the easiest way

Yeah, the dynomax is 140 or 150. The Jegs is 120.

But theres a 50$ mail in rebate on the dynomax until the end of december, so thats def what I would get unless anyone knows of something alot better for not much more $$

on my 89 with the ba-10 trans and 231TC, the 4 bolt flange cat converter is behind the x-memeber with a hanger connected to the 4 bolt flange and to the transmission mount(funky setup with the ba-10). from there it should be the same as yours; cat convertor, straight pipe (depending on the length of the muffler), muffler, tailpipe.

you can buy the straight pipe, muffler, tailpipe with hanger attached, and u-bolt clamps for under 50$.

Back