• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not an XJ, but a 4.0 power steering problem anyway

Crewdude007

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 WJ with the 4.0 that is my daily driver. The power steering pump was making horrible noises (but no leaks) for about a week before I replaced it Saturday. It took most of the day thanks to the press-on pulley, but I finally got it done. I followed the directions to the letter, including replacing the rubber o-ring on the high-pressure fitting on the pump. The metal hard line is loose in the fitting, and is leaking pretty bad. I've tightened it down as much as I can, but I can't seem to stop the leak. Any ideas how to fix? New O-ring (again)? New high pressure line? It wasn't leaking before I did the swap, but it sure is now. :gonnablow

pspump.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any flaring tools or flaring experience, so I can't say for sure. Does anybody know what the part number on this piece is? I've tried searching online, but only seem to be able to find the part for the 4.7L engine, which I've heard is more troublesome than this one. Is it the same part for the 1997-2001 XJ?

I'd get a new pressure line. They aren't really that pricey, and it sounds like it's too worn to fit in there properly or got screwed up when you removed it from the old pump.

EDIT: If you can read the labeling on the side of the rubber portion of the hosing there should be an 8 digit number in white/grey ink somewhere. It will be broken into two groups of 4 digits and may be followed by up to two letters. That's likely the part number, google it (minus the space in the middle) and if it comes up with a bunch of power steering lines that sound like they'd fit, you have your number.

EDIT2: RockAuto.com has the line you need, $15 or so. Should be in their interactive catalog under Jeep -> 2000 -> Grand Cherokee Laredo -> 4.0L -> Steering -> Power Steering Pressure Hose.

Last edited:
If you still have the old pump, try swapping the fitting that the high-pressure hose attaches too. It should come easily.
If that does not do it, you probably will need a new hose.

It's fixed. I tried a new o-ring. That didn't work. I also tried swapping the fitting on the pump like lazyxj suggested, but that didn't work either. In the end, I just replaced the whole high pressure line. It's a good thing this doesn't need to be done every week, since I had to remove the airbox just to get at the line on the top the steering box too. For those of you who've never done it, there's three bolts that are held on by skirted nuts that are in the most inaccessible places ever. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Did you buy new or rebuilt. Either way, how does it feel and sound? My '98 ZJ took two re-builds before it was happy. Our '95 is the same. Tried rebuilding it, got a new rebuild, time to go to Harry's and get a 'clunked' pump.

Back