• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Drive Cherokee?

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
HYPOTHETICALLY- Lets say I engaged the 4wd on a 231 T-case, then removed the rear drive shaft. Would I be able to have a fwd jeep?
How does a 231 act when the rear output spins freely?

Yes, as long as you have a '96+ with the newer style T-case that does not use the slip yoke to seal the transfercase.
I did it with my 242 when I broke in my front gears.

Yes, as long as you have a '96+ with the newer style T-case that does not use the slip yoke to seal the transfercase.
I did it with my 242 when I broke in my front gears.

or an SYE.

or an SYE.
Or some other way to keep the ATF in the tcase. You can cut the bottom out of a small soda or water bottle, and tape it in place.

I've had to run my 94 XJ in front wheel drive a couple of times. Handling with standard u-joints gets a little exciting in tight corners when you get on the throttle.

I did it to get the rest of the way to work, and back home, when my slip yoke broke and my rear DS decided to fall off on the highway. This was the old style TC(also a 242 in PT), I rubber-banded a big baggie around the cone, and when I got home, 8 hours and 30 miles later, there was only a few drops of oil in the bag. Nonetheless it's probably not a good idea to do this with this style yoke, so I replaced it with my spares that night. If you drive aggressively, you will notice a lack of traction as well as different handling characteristics. If you don't drive like hell normally, you will not notice.

Pretty sure it's hard on your front end, but do-able. I'd only do it as an emergency fix to get home.

~Scott

its quirky with a front locker

and stretches chains prematurely

I don't drive aggressively, but I also have little time to work on my jeep and it is a daily driver. I was waiting on a flange for my 8.8 and time and so I removed my rear driveshaft (242) and daily drove it for a couple of weeks. It drove fine, but when I went back to rear wheel drive the t-case went out on my first wheeling trip and I switched to a 231.

I have done it more times than I ever wanted to. The first time it took 2 tries and about 100 feet of duct tape, but I made it home the 40 miles with most of my fluid. Now I can do it with 30 feet of tape, and in like 5 minutes. Now I just carry a spare ujoint :D it under steers a bit when accelerating in a corner but other than that the jeep was fine.

Back