• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nitro Gear Install Questions

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of installing 4.88's in my 44/30. Working on the 44, I am trying to discern what the + or - (normally found on a gearset) is on these gears. there are set marks, and another set of numbers that look kind of like a " >.625 " they're pretty poorly etched into the pinion. I need to know how deep to set the pinion and I was wondering if anybody knows what these numbers mean. Is the .625 a metric measurement? this is pretty baffling. I clicked a pic of the numbers with my camera phone, which I will upload in a little while.

Help is greatly apreciated here, knowing where the pinion needs to be set will speed up the process hugely.

Sorry about the poor quality, but apparently the phone focused on the wrong point.

gear2.jpg

Looks to me like 2.625. I usually install the pinion with the oil slinger (D30) and see what kind of pattern that gets me. I usually only have to add shims once or twice to set the depth. Because of variations in housings I trust my pattern more than the number stamped into the pinion.

Okay, so you guys use the trial/error method... I'll let my grandpa (the REAL mechanic) know that that's the common method for these... Which is also what I thought was the generally used method. The install has been EXCEPTIONALLY slow due to his not having the "standard" method of stamping on the pinion.

Disregard the etching and follow the Nitro install guide. The etching is for mfg not install. Just start with your stock shim. These gears are sweet and 9.9 times out of ten it will be right on. Adjust if necessary BY PATTERN>

http://www.nitro-gear.com/installation-guides/

Sorry about the poor quality, but apparently the phone focused on the wrong point.

I use my pinion depth gauge and a set of "set-up bearings". The etching is rarely "just right" but if you are starting with a empty housing, its a good start. If you took the housing apart then hopefully you measured and noted the shims on the pinion and carrier.

So yes, the answer is Trial and Error and that is the only consistent way to nail down a good pattern.

yeah, we got 'em done.

My grandpa has done a bunch of gear setups and he's used to following numbers to get usually dead on. (He REALLY knows what he's doing)

It was really nice nailing the Dana 30 pattern on the first try though.

Back