• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter and AW4 compatibility question

TwistedSymphony

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be adding a 203/205 doubler to my MJ, and need to do some transmission mixing and matching. <--hence why this is in the OEM section.

My MJ is an '88, and the trans is an '89. My 203 is from a Dodge, and has 23 splines. I need to add a 23 spline AW4 to my Renix 4.0. I have a lead on a 1997 AW4, but it has no torque converter. Can I take the converter out of my '89 trans (which works mint) and put it in the '97? Will everything go together? I control my current trans with a series of switches, so I'm not too worried about wiring...I'm sure I can figure it out.

If anyone knows about the transmission and torque converter compatibility...that would make my day. Also, will I run into any trouble bolting a '97 AW4 to a '88 4.0? Are the blocks essentially the same?

Engine bolt pattern is the same so the late model trans will bolt up.
As for the converter, I don't know and I'd be surprised if anybody did for sure. Best thing to do with that is call the dealer and see if they're the same part number.

Bolt pattern is the same. The 97 will, if anything, have more sensors and stuff than you need - I think there may be an output speed sensor difference (1 tick per revolution vs 4 ticks per revolution - not sure which is which, hope lawsoncl sees this thread!) though. I have no idea if the torque converter will fit onto the later model transmission - check spline counts and diameters, I guess.

Back