• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vote for amendment to require Politicians to enroll in proposed Health Care plan

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
HR 615

On Tuesday, the Senate health committee voted 12-11 in favor of a two-page amendment, courtesy of Republican Tom Coburn which would require all Members of Congress and their staff members to enroll in any new government-run health plan.

Congressman John Fleming has proposed an amendment that would require Congressmen and Senators to take the same health care plan that they would force on us. (Under proposed legislation they are exempt.)

Congressman Fleming is encouraging people to go to his Website and sign his petition. The process is very simple. I have done just that at: http://fleming.house.gov/index.html

Senator Coburn and Congressman Fleming are both physicians. Regardless of your political beliefs, it sure seems reasonable that Congress should have exactly the same medical coverage that they impose on the rest of us.

done...thanks for posting

Coburn is 2 for 2 on good ideas this week....

Pthargh.

My wife was good enough to print the whole damned bill out for me at work to-day (2S2U, and it's still 500-odd pages!) and I'll probably be going through it for the next fortnight.

The by-damned index is the first dozen pages or so, and I'm probably never going to figure out what the opening paragraph is going to have to do with anything:

"To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes."

?!?

If anyone else wants a copy of the bill as a .pdf, let me know - and the bloody thing is not quite 2.6MB in size. So, make sure you can handle attachments at least that large...

"To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes."

If we had ten thousand apes typing on ten thousand typewriters... we could probably make something better than this.

Good idea though. Really brings a lot of personal leverage into the whole healthcare debate.

SIGNED!

If they're going to push that crap on me they better take it themselves too

If we had ten thousand apes typing on ten thousand typewriters... we could probably make something better than this.

Good idea though. Really brings a lot of personal leverage into the whole healthcare debate.

Yeah, that makes ... wait, what?

How does playing about with the Internal Revenue Code (which is already a Byzantine mess - ever try to read through 26CFR?) and homebuyer credits have anything to do with healthcare?

I'm betting they simply tacked it in there to make it harder to vote against because "oh my god, it has to pass"

I'm betting they simply tacked it in there to make it harder to vote against because "oh my god, it has to pass"

Ah - a "rider."

When I'm put in charge, that's one of the first ideas that will go. If it can't pass on its own merits, then it damned well shouldn't pass!

Link no worky for me for some reason...

Just go to his home page, the sign up is about mid way. He's not even one of MY elected clowns and I've already voted on his site twice.

I sent him a personal email telling him I wish I lived in his district so I could vote for him also, pretty sure it went into the "those darn plebs who keep emailing me things they think I should do" folder though :roll:

Back