• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attaching boxed rockers to frame

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
what did you do? i'm stumped as to how to do mine.
Here are a few that i came across, but they seem like they would be rock grabbers.

heres one but i have no way to bend it
frame.jpg

and crash
might just end up going this route
Rocker.jpg

and here is randys,http://www.myxj.net/tech/rockers/ but i dont think my cage is in a good place to use that idea
anyone else done theirs differently?

There are a couple rocker replacment writeups here, tech section about 2/3 down.
not so much about attaching to the frame, but may give you a couple ideas?

http://www.madxj.com

Last edited:
I am in the process of doing this on mine. Boatsides, reinforced rocker, and cage tie-ins all at once.

sides1.JPG

sides3.JPG

Followed up with a sheet of 1/8" or so over the whole thing. Still under construction. You're left with this at the ends, which isn't to bad to plate over:

sides2.JPG

vetteboy said:
Followed up with a sheet of 1/8" or so over the whole thing. Still under construction.

Might think about some hi-moly (uhmwphwumph, whatever that stuff is :) ) The hard plastic cutting board-like material.

well i'm torn between the clearance of this

DSC00071.JPG

or doing something like this

sides3.JPG

probably go with the first though since it wont require me buying 10' of 1/8"

1996cc said:
Might think about some hi-moly (uhmwphwumph, whatever that stuff is :) ) The hard plastic cutting board-like material.

UHMW? It's definitely a consideration as a layer on top of the 1/8". Gonna see how the plain steel slides and holds up first.

Ramsey said:
probably go with the first though since it wont require me buying 10' of 1/8"

Total materials used in this:

(2) 2x5 x 3/16" rect tube, 65"
(2) 65" x 13" x 1/8" CR sheet (not shown in pic)
(8) 2 x 2 x 1/4" angle, 13"
(4) 2 x 2 x .120" square tube, 13"

they look bent down in the picture, or is that just an odd camera angle doing that

anyone else have any ideas?

Scrappy said:
Go to the cage... nothing under the floor. Keep it high and tight!
x2

Off of my 2x6 rockers I welded 4 legs of 1.5" dia. tube 3" long that stick inside. I plated the inside of the floor pan with 1/8x2" flat stock then cut through it with a hole saw. The legs stick through and are welded to the reinforced side of the floor pan and are welded to 2x2 box tube parallel to the rockers. The 2x2 is welded to the crossmember under the rear seat and to the front seat mounting crossmember. Never took any pics of it...

nhrocker said:
x2

Off of my 2x6 rockers I welded 4 legs of 1.5" dia. tube 3" long that stick inside. I plated the inside of the floor pan with 1/8x2" flat stock then cut through it with a hole saw. The legs stick through and are welded to the reinforced side of the floor pan and are welded to 2x2 box tube parallel to the rockers. The 2x2 is welded to the crossmember under the rear seat and to the front seat mounting crossmember. Never took any pics of it...
having a hard time picturing that, any chance you can snap some pics?

MrMom said:
ramsey?
I assume this is why you are selling me your sliders?
time for a upgrade I see...
That would be why, just finished sleeving my frame rails and i'm about to start on boxing the rockers.

I think I'm just going to attempt to weld it to the sheet metal and tie it to two point on my cage inside.

not yet but soon, have the d and c so the b pillar comes on top of the rail, gonna run a kicker out to the floor and then to the frame rail unless there is a better way to do it but i cant think of one.

Ramsey said:
not yet but soon, have the d and c so the b pillar comes on top of the rail, gonna run a kicker out to the floor and then to the frame rail unless there is a better way to do it but i cant think of one.

if you attach your rockers to the cage only, make sure you get your cage tied into the framerails good asap. i was lazy and didn't, and the impact into my rockers ended up buckling the floor inwards on both sides.

that's what i get for being lazy. that's why i'm fixing it now ;)

Back