• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Steering Box Play?

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
so i picked up a new steering box from autozone because my last one had about 2 inches of play in the steering wheel only to find out that the new one had the same amount of play in it.... now before you go off telling me its the trackbar bushings, ball joints, or tierod ends, you should know that i can move just the input shaft with my fingers, and there is obvious and noticable slop before the pitman arm moves. is this slop supposed to be there? or did i just get a bum box?

Take it back to Autozone.

so i picked up a new steering box from autozone because my last one had about 2 inches of play in the steering wheel only to find out that the new one had the same amount of play in it.... now before you go off telling me its the trackbar bushings, ball joints, or tierod ends, you should know that i can move just the input shaft with my fingers, and there is obvious and noticable slop before the pitman arm moves. is this slop supposed to be there? or did i just get a bum box?

Have you considered upgrading the steering box? Late model Durango is a direct fit, you could source one from a salvage yard. Stronger, quicker ratio are the benefits.

That new box you got at Autozone was most likely a reman?

Do a search for Durango steering, there are some good reads.

Have you considered upgrading the steering box? Late model Durango is a direct fit, you could source one from a salvage yard. Stronger, quicker ratio are the benefits.

That new box you got at Autozone was most likely a reman?

Do a search for Durango steering, there are some good reads.

i'm sure it was a rebuild. i will take it back tomorrow.

i have read about the durango boxes, but i was worried about the loss of steering throw... although those reports are counteracted by some who lost nothing. i will check it out though. thanks joe

G

What do you mean by "steering throw"?

What do you mean by "steering throw"?

steering throw meaning turn radius/the internal stops in the box inhibit full turing allowances of the XJ. i know they can be taken out, but i really dont feel like taking one apart.

Ah, gotcha, thanks!

I spent more time and energy than you can think of trying to get rid of that 2 inches of play. You never will. It is inherent to recirculating ball steering. I ended up putting a 12:1 ratio camaro z28 box in my Jeep and I love it, but the play is still there.

Back